Sennheisers MKH816TF

Production Houston

F stands for Flat Frequency Response. Regular versions of this mic have a slightly altered frequency response to make up for how these mics sound due to how they operate. Some mixers complained about it, so they made the lesser known F version. 

At least this is the story I was told. 

• 2 weeks later...

F stands for Flat Frequency Response

Expanding just a bit on Jon's correct reply-

The standard Sennheiser shotgun was designed with a high frequency presence boost to enhance dialog legibility when recording from a distance. The whole purpose of using a shotgun it to gather good audio at a distance from the source so this extra high frequency presence improved results. The boost started around 5 kHz and extended to 8 kHz, tapering off to flat around 10 kHz. (And then attenuating just slightly from 10 kHz to 20 kHz). The boost appears to be about 3 dB at maximum but I'm viewing the frequency graph in an old Sennheiser catalog where it is printed at postage stamp size.

Responding to customer demand, Sennheiser made a version with flat frequency response across the spectrum. It's hard to say what benefit this version provided. I expect that for most buyers it was just a fulfillment of excessive focus on specs over listening evaluations. But the microphones weren't just used for documentaries or recording dialog outdoors; they were also used in studios at only moderate distances from the source. For that particular application, a flat microphone might have been preferred.

In any event, the presence boost was a subtle thing and its absence would also be a subtle variation.

David

Yes, the F is for Flat. The problem was that when people used the F version, they complained about it lacking "reach", which was the reason for tailoring the frequency response in the first place. Disasters like the F version are a reason manufacturers are often reluctant to let the market drive engineering philosophies. Don't get an F.

Regarding the 815 and 816, if I recall correctly they sound identical, possibly slightly better noise specs on the 816 due to modern (for the time) circuitry. The most significant (only?) difference is that all 815 mics were T powered only, and the 816 could be had in P48 or T power versions.

gt

I've used many (silver) 815s in the past (rentals), all of them were T-powered, the latter Phantom Powered 816s were lighter. I don't recall (or didn't notice at the time) any sound difference, though I did experience issues with coming from high-humidity outdoors to cool AC interiors. but again, this was many, many moons ago and I didn't know sh_t  from Shineola.