• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, WesH said:

Hi Jack,

Our part number is MCATA5MLEMO; follow this link to our website for the technical data sheet.  Retail at the usual suspects is around (ouch) $200 -- sorry, that's an expensive little assembly to make.

As usual, we make the wiring diagram available in the technical data sheet for those that are good with soldering irons and enjoy the frustration that comes with soldering tiny connectors.

Best,

Wes Herron

Lectrosonics, Inc.

The resistor is for compatibility with all possible 5 pin wiring schemes. Two wire and three wire mics, line level, servo only and compatible servo wirings. The only assumption is that the original 5 pin is wired correctly for a 5 pin servo transmitter, i.e., if it will work with an SM and all the other current servo transmitters, the adapter will work with an SSM. The carefully drawn data sheet is so you or your service shop can roll your own and save some bucks.

Lef

Personally I think that the upgrade from A to B was mostly due to fixes. Sra was not so great and it was made for slot use but Lectrosonics was surprised to see so many people using them in a bag setup. Unfortunately, SRA wasn't so good in a bag and Lectro, we have to give them credit for this, upgraded the unit so that they would be way more usable in a bag and offered a very cool upgrade path for it. I believe they also solved some more basics design issues at the same time.

The C version for me is not a fix but a new model with new features, an upgrade, of course would be nice but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect the product photo shown on the Dutch retailer's site is just a placeholder photo. For all we know Lectro totally changed the package. For example, maybe it's a bit taller to allow more electronics, or has an integrated top mount 5-pin like the new Sennheiser slot-mount EK6042 (nice work Sennheiser btw).

At the very least, I'd be surprised if they didn't adopt the new blue/gray color scheme. Also hoping for AES out but seems unlikely.

Also a better shape; not boxy, like miniTX from Audio Ltd.

How do you mean? The miniTX has rounded sides whereas the SSM has more of a box shape. The miniTX is a bit taller, but also flatter, than the SSM, and I think it's still one of the easiest to hide tx - at least out of our usual suspects. But it only does 30mW

29 minutes ago, Constantin said:

How do you mean? The miniTX has rounded sides whereas the SSM has more of a box shape. The miniTX is a bit taller, but also flatter, than the SSM, and I think it's still one of the easiest to hide tx - at least out of our usual suspects. But it only does 30mW

The size comparison between the miniTX and the SSM is not close: the SSM is MUCH smaller. Yes, the Mini has rounded corners, which we decided to avoid simply because it would make the unit larger and heavier. The design goal was to make it as small and light as possible, while still including a keypad and display, and a run time of 6+ hours per charge, while offering RF power at 25 or 50 mW, selectable.

Here are the dimensions for comparison:

MiniTX: 48 x 82 x 16.5 mm, weight is 98 gr. including battery

SSM: 38 x 58.4 x 14.2 mm, weight is 65.2 gr. including battery

1 hour ago, karlw said:

The size comparison between the miniTX and the SSM is not close: the SSM is MUCH smaller. Yes, the Mini has rounded corners, which we decided to avoid simply because it would make the unit larger and heavier. The design goal was to make it as small and light as possible, while still including a keypad and display, and a run time of 6+ hours per charge, while offering RF power at 25 or 50 mW, selectable.

Here are the dimensions for comparison:

MiniTX: 48 x 82 x 16.5 mm, weight is 98 gr. including battery

SSM: 38 x 58.4 x 14.2 mm, weight is 65.2 gr. including battery

The SSM is slightly less than half the volume. We were asked for more rounded corners a la the miniTx, which is a very good looking unit. But with square batteries and boards it would have made the SSM substantially larger. There is a certain elegance in the unrelenting push to make a small unit. There were warm arguments over a tenth of an inch, one of those being the rounded edges. 

Lef

"The miniTX is a bit taller, but also flatter, than the SSM, and I think it's still one of the easiest to hide tx - at least out of our usual suspects. But it only does 30mW"

Mini TX can be upgraded to 50mw.Mini TX has no display and can only change freq.through the dreaded ,non working infra red remote...hated that about the mini!Cannot see the freq it is on ,and changing freq is a pain in the ass!

SSM is easy to hide and through the 'remote app' easy to make changes.

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

Yes, I like rounded sides.

Taller ok, flatter super.

--

No, I don't like infrared and no display. Changing gain or frequency is PITA.

Based on my experience, I contend that you don't really appreciate the small form factor of the SSM until you hold one in your hand.

The way they incorporate the belt clip is quite ingenious.

I do own both a miniTX and an SSM (got one overseas for an overseas job). I do love the SSM for the various reasons listed here, but I do also like the miniTX for its curved sides. Sometimes that just fits the occasion better, but in the majority of situations the SSM fits better. And 50mW is all that is allowed here anyway, so it would be great for Europe, once it finally gets released here.

I was mostly just surprised by VAS' comment that the miniTX was boxy.

Just to be sure: the SSM is great, and I love it. But it needs to be released in the EU now, too. Or has that already happened and I just didn't hear about it?

25 minutes ago, shug said:

Any updates on when we will get a European release of the SSM? Would love to try one!

The crew has been standing anxiously by the front door, looking up the lane, waiting for the mailman to bring the European approvals.

Lef

I run all SMQVs. In the next year or so I will probably add another Venue system to my cart. Having a V2 with wideband SMQVs would be fantastic. 

Only thing is that, as 600mHz is going away, having a band that covers 470-600mHz (blocks 470, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23) would be truly amazing. 

I would be inclined to move to SRs if they end up being wide band with tracking front end as well ;)

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:40 AM, Derek H said:

For example, maybe it's a bit taller to allow more electronics, or has an integrated top mount 5-pin like the new Sennheiser slot-mount EK6042 (nice work Sennheiser btw).

Actually, Lectro has had a top mount five pin from the very beginning for the SR - we call it the SR5P and it was developed because Sony did not have the second channel audio pin active in their cameras and there were also some mono (non-stereo cameras on the market). That was our development!