CF Cards for Fusion

Howy,

someone at your support recommended me to buy Lexar 800x 64Gb. So I bought some. I also bought some 32 &16. Are you now saying that these might be a problem? In which case What would you buy in 128Gb for the primary slot in terms of make and speed? And what about the secondary slot in 16 and 32Gb. Incidentally the Lexars are all UDMA 7.

Malcolm Davies.

Malcolm, 

I'm wondering why you need such high capacity in the first place?  Even if you have multiple ISO Feeds (I have had at most about 10 feeds for a feature), I only used about 12-13gigs of capacity in a day of shooting.  Taking into account that you would  back up all your data daily (or a DIT would), why the need for such high amounts of storage?

John.

11 hours ago, jgbsound said:

Malcolm, 

I'm wondering why you need such high capacity in the first place?  Even if you have multiple ISO Feeds (I have had at most about 10 feeds for a feature), I only used about 12-13gigs of capacity in a day of shooting.  Taking into account that you would  back up all your data daily (or a DIT would), why the need for such high amounts of storage?

John.

Fair point John. I was interested in order to get as much of the film on one master card.

More of an issue now though is the revelation from Howy not to use Lexar cards especially after being told by the factory that these were the ones to use and having expended a substantial amount of money on these cards I really wish that Zaxcom would all sing off the same hymn sheet. This is the second occasion that inaccurate info has been given by the lesser minions of the company and has cost me and a couple of others here in the UK money.

I have a Transcend 128GB x800 living inside my Nomad at all times, and use it as an "internal drive". Only when it's full or near full do I pull it out, back up and swap.

I only hand mirrored cards to clients, and these can be as small as 8GB to as big as 32GB depending on the job.

I've been using this workflow quite successfully for over a year and wouldn't want to go back. Before I had to swap primary cards fairly often, and it was harder to keep track of what was what.

Also, for primary cards I would only use Transcend, due to their proven track record with Zaxcom recorders, but for mirror cards, I've been able to use virtually anything. A lot of times I would even use the client's card.

From the very early days, Zaxcom's consistent recommendation has been to use Transcend or SanDisk cards.  

It has baffled me that just about every time the recommendation is stated, someone will almost immediately ask, "What if I use so-and-so-brand card?" -- almost as if they wish to court failure.

For anyone who desires to operate as reliably as possible, it may be wise to stay with Zaxcom's consistent recommendation.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Davies Amps CAS said:

All well and good John I would love to operate as you suggest  but some clown in support recommended a product that Howy is now saying don't use.

That wasn't aimed at you, Malcolm.  I didn't mean to imply that.

I've been quite pleased with Transcend.  I've run into only one bad card out of a few dozen, over a few years, and it wasn't during a job.

On 13/03/2016 at 5:29 PM, howy said:

128GB should work but make sure you get something 400x speed or less.

And stay away from Kingston, Lexar and Delkin.

-howy

Howy, I was hoping that you or someone from Zaxcom would respond to my post about card makes and speed but emails to the factory and requests for information here seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

When you say 400x or less is 400 the max speed we can use or if its less how low can the speed be and can I use 128GB card for the primary?

Malcolm.

Most cards should work but I have seen strange behavior with Lexar, Kingston and Delkin.

We recoemend Transcend and Sandisk

The slower the card the better.  

800X is probably too fast and we see some trouble with some cards that say UDMA7 on them.

-howy