Himalayan Recording Trip

David Stevens

Anyone interested in a 10 day trekking/recording trip in the Himalayas? Mid May. I'll plan it. If interested PM or email me. davidlstevens@me.com

Goal is to produce scientifically catalogued wildlife recordings for the Macaulay Library.

Just to clarify, this is not a job. Just something adventurous to do...burn calories and benefit wildlife research. 

cheers!

My last Himalayan trip was several months spread out over the summer of 2008, with Bruel & Kjaer omnis, on the Chinese side (and I recorded the solar eclipse in Gansu / Inner Mongolia just before that and the Olympics). Qinghai, west Sichuan and Tibetan Nujiang valley. At one point I didn't speak any English in three weeks. I did it for my library, not science, but got some amazing ambience recordings (which have found themselves in dozens of films since).

If I have a win on the lottery I'll come along - if not, enjoy yourself! I've long wanted to do a similar trip in the Indian Himalayas and combine it with my other interests in nearby Assam and Darjeeling.

Best of luck, and update us on kit, plans and results!

Jez Adamson (stuck in UK as I write).

on project in mid May, but otherwise this could have been a go!

I've been to Nepal/Everest BC for 4 weeks in 2006 to record a doc with insufficient gear straight to cam. Pity what we did NOT record by then  

best for your Journey

Axel

On 16 March 2016 at 7:20 PM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

My last Himalayan trip was several months spread out over the summer of 2008, with Bruel & Kjaer omnis, on the Chinese side (and I recorded the solar eclipse in Gansu / Inner Mongolia just before that and the Olympics). Qinghai, west Sichuan and Tibetan Nujiang valley. At one point I didn't speak any English in three weeks. I did it for my library, not science, but got some amazing ambience recordings (which have found themselves in dozens of films since).

If I have a win on the lottery I'll come along - if not, enjoy yourself! I've long wanted to do a similar trip in the Indian Himalayas and combine it with my other interests in nearby Assam and Darjeeling.

Best of luck, and update us on kit, plans and results!

Jez Adamson (stuck in UK as I write).

I hope you win the lottery! I haven't been to Tibet but recently had a chance to spend a month in a Bhutanese village. This part of the world is incredible. I assume you were in Assam for the endless tea plantations. 

3 hours ago, axel said:

on project in mid May, but otherwise this could have been a go!

I've been to Nepal/Everest BC for 4 weeks in 2006 to record a doc with insufficient gear straight to cam. Pity what we did NOT record by then  

best for your Journey

Axel

Everest BC is on the list as well. Maybe next year. How did you find the hike? Was it difficult?

hi David,

we only went to the basecamp (south/Nepali side). Easy hike, take some time to adapt to the altitude though.

I also spent two weeks in Bhutan, on a different project. Liked it very much, although I did not see much else than Thimpu. We  filmed the administration of the "gross national happiness" project. I was much better equipped in Bhutan, after all. Could do some nice wild tracks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well still no lottery win, bah! Not yet made it to Assam/Darjeeling/Sikkim etc but yes it would be for the tea. As is Yunnan, China whenever I get the chance. The 'Footprint' guides might be of some interest - both Indian Himalaya Handbook (covering east and west regions) and Tibet Handbook (including much of far west China as well as Bhutan) ... or were you just thinking of Nepal? Anyway, they're both geared pretty much for hikers and National Park types.

Look forward to a write up - kit list, intended recording techniques (MS, IRT or spaced omni ... or 'back to mono'?), custom made mic stands, choice of cable (now I ALWAYS carry a spare lemo cable for my high voltage Bruel and Kjaers, after the worry in 2008 of nearly losing one ... or my life ... to what turned out to be an exceedingly playful giant Tibetan mastiff). Hydrophone? (Countryman B6?). Seismometer?? Or a really stripped down kit?

And to revive an excellent old discussion ... stealthy weatherproof clothing? Tents etc?

Got a route planned yet? Specific sites/areas/wildlife?

Five more lotteries before you set off ... enjoy!! Jez

Hey! I will be in Nepal from 1st of May to the 24th! We'll be recording a documentary there and also trek up the Annapurna Base Camp Trek. Will be in the film team all the time but maybe we can share some recorded audio in the end?!

Ps: Does anyone know what radio frequencies are legal to use in Nepal for wireless mics? Are there any regulations radio wise? 

Cheers