Zaxcom Maxx for Nature Recording?

wbrock001

I was curious if anyone on here makes use of the zaxcom recorders for nature audio?  I would think the neverclip would be a pretty cool feature especially for those recording thunderstorms.  I see tons of info on SD 633 etc, but so little on Maxx.  On youtube its mostly Nomad, which I assume works pretty much the same as Maxx, but not a single reference for anyone using Zaxcom for Nature Recording...  Thank you for any insights!

I have a Maxx and yes it is very clean sounding. At some point Glenn mentioned that the preamps in the Maxx were the best Zaxcom had ever made. A hair better than the Nomad supposedly.

It's flexibility with fader assignment is a nice feature for working with stereo pairs. You can link two inputs to one fader and their trims to another.

10 hours ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

I have a Nomad and  MAXX,  both sound great,  very low noise floor,  I even recorded some calm ocean here in hawaii with 2 AEA R84 ribbons outside.  Sounded fantastic, hardly any noise, Ribbons r worst case scenario noise wise, I can send you a sample of it if you want.

That is very interesting, as in my experience ribbons need a lot of gain. you recorded these with nomad or maxx? does maxx preamps have more gain than nomad's? in my testing, the nomad has  ~6db gain less than a sd 442 mixer has. (this is recording the same source at maximum gain levels and comparing) 

I cant remember if the figures for Sd vs Maxx, but if you are suggesting that the SD 'puts more noise on the tape' when everything is turned up to maximum (ie input gain, fader, etc...) then it may be simply that the SD can 'add more gain in the mix' than the Maxx. It wont mean that one is electronically noisier or quieter than the other, just that one has the ability to push the fader up further. However... there is a trick you can use on the Maxx, if you need more gain for a mic with low sensitivity like the ribbon mics...... if you enable the compressors for the ribbon mic channel(s), and set the compressor to have a ratio of 1:1 (ie no compression), and then set the 'gain' to add some dBs, you will get more gain on those channels.

Kindest, sb

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2016 at 6:48 AM, resonate said:

That is very interesting, as in my experience ribbons need a lot of gain. you recorded these with nomad or maxx? does maxx preamps have more gain than nomad's? in my testing, the nomad has  ~6db gain less than a sd 442 mixer has. (this is recording the same source at maximum gain levels and comparing) 

I'm not sure if they have more gain,  but I just crank it to full and this is usually plenty of gain even for quiet ambience like I recorded.     Any extra needed is easily added in post.

I just wish the MAXX had a couple extra faders like the 633 :-P