Who's moved from a 788 to a 688?

shug

Hey, I've been using a 788 and cl-9 happily for a number of years on my cart. I find I'm doing scripted drama with higher actor numbers and I do wish I had more channels available. Like many of you I've been waiting for a replacement to the 788 but there's none presently forthcoming (NAB 2016 anyone?!?). I'm just wondering has anyone been in my position and made the move to the 688 and a cl-12 and if they would care to share their feelings on it. 

Thanks in advance! 

I'm waiting for something of 788 quality to come along too. After using a 6 series machine on a cart, I was not happy with it. If SD doesnt come up with something really good I'll probably switch to the Cantar X3. 

7 hours ago, ProSound said:

I used a 788T/CL-9 for many years and moved to a 688/ CL-12 this year. I am very happy with the switch and feel like I am providing a higher quality mix now due to the fader quality in the CL-12 

Hey Whit,

thanks for that reply. I've gone ahead and ordered a 688 and an Aliha cl-12, looking forward to not having to patch things around all the time at the back of my cart and not loosing a channel for my comms mic! Also looking forward to trying the Penny and Giles faders  

Also congrats on your new cart, I use a similar setup to you and your cart is very inspiring! 

I am exactly doing your kind of work and switched to Cantar X3 (which I am happy with, real big upgrade and much smaller form factor compared to the 788/CL9). If there had been an option for a 688/CL12 18 months ago, I'd have looked at this first, though.

On 4/2/2016 at 5:34 AM, ProSound said:

I used a 788T/CL-9 for many years and moved to a 688/ CL-12 this year. I am very happy with the switch and feel like I am providing a higher quality mix now due to the fader quality in the CL-12 

Same here. I'm on week 2 of a feature and am loving the setup. More tracks, less power draw, happy all around. There are some nitpicks which I'll cover in more detail after we wrap.

1 hour ago, syncsound said:

Same here. I'm on week 2 of a feature and am loving the setup. More tracks, less power draw, happy all around. There are some nitpicks which I'll cover in more detail after we wrap.

My main gripes are lack of a slate button and would prefer Record and Stop button at bottom of unit. 

3 hours ago, ProSound said:

My main gripes are lack of a slate button and would prefer Record and Stop button at bottom of unit. 

I'm still overcoming muscle memory from the CL-9. I do miss the toggle for PL/slate, and I agree about the stop/roll position. Currently I assigned slate to U3, and marked it with green gaff tape.

I wanted to make the move but;

Purchased 633 for bag use last year and while still using it, can't seem to enjoy it as much which made me stay with the 788 on the cart. Mostly related to the sound preference.

Waiting to see what the new Deva32 will offer. Physically it seemed nice and felt like it might be suitable for both bag and cart use for most people. (I saw it at NY sound mixers meeting few weeks ago. It wasn't a complete machine but still gave the idea.)