Zaxcom and AudioLTD digital wireless - the future

RadoStefanov

Just got the AudioLTD 1010 digital system. Thanks to reddingaudio and AudioLTD for sending me the system for testing.
I will take my time and really test it against Zaxcom digital wireless.
It is a little more complicated to test on the field without the TX recording to cover my ass so don't expect anything in the next 2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

13055910_10209235732470267_4975101683350

AudioLTD1010, Zaxcom ZHD review, test and the case for digital wireless. 
First I want to thank Scott Bolland from Redding Audio and Colleen from Zaxcom from providing me with the test gear. 

AudioLTD1010 

When I saw AudioLTD1010 at NAB2015 I got very excited. It is a 100% digital wideband wireless system made by company that is very well respected around the world. It has great design, great sound, card recording and revolutionary modulation allowing multiple wireless frequencies in a small chunk of RF spaceThe Audio easy access menu© is very good  and very easy to navigate. Reminds me of an old Nokia cell phone menu with icons and an exit button.  
The transmitter uses standard SMA antenna, powers any DPA microphones, features a very good sounding limiter and runs very cool. And lets not forget TC recording anywhere else but in  North America.  
The receiver is a superslot uni size wide band Up to 100MHz in 25kHz steps and features digitally controlled front end tracking filters. It has a uni slot XLR and hirose bottom attachment for bag or camera setup. The output is selectable between Analog and AES.   I love AES! 

What sets this system apart from other wireless is other than what I mentioned above is: 

100% digital 

48kHz

The  Audio Ltd proprietary digital modulation. If I set the TX 100kHz away from the RX and put the TX a feet away from the RX i get around one fourth RF contamination. Moving 200mHz away almost clears the channel. I can really see stacking bunch of mics in  a 6mhz space without any problems.

What I don't like: 
The choice of Bluetooth over wifi 2.4gHz. "I have not tested the Bluetooth operation so I might be wrong." 

The transmitter is larger then zaxcom TX especially compared to LT 

Only single mode 

No microSD recording in North America. 

Strange and annoying digital artifacts when dropping out 

Latency when sitting next to mic  and listening to headphones. "it might be related to AES. On paper  

AudioLTD has less latency then zaxcom."  

RF might be a  little less robust going through walls. 

Overall I love the AudioLTD1010 and for the company's first digital wireless it hits on many points and is a worthy competitor to Zaxcom especially in Europe where I imagine service is less of a hassle and cheaper to ship back to the mothership. 

Zaxcom ZHD 

Good Ol Zaxcom. It takes somebody like AudioLTD  to creep on the horizon for zaxcom go to the extreme.  

This is what we know so far:  

Zaxcom claims a single 6 MHz American television channel can contain up to sixty channels of ZHD wireless. Even if they are exaggerating "river test anybody (:" I will take half that 30 and even 20 or 10 wireless TXs in that space. 

The transmitter is new hardware so it requires a brand new purchase.  

As of now the qrx200/qrx235 only works in single mode with a firmware upgrade. "IFB module not working at the moment." While I am a little pessimistic about achieving dual mode on QRX2XX i can never and will never doubt Howy Stark. 

The claimed double range might be theoretical but does not reflect the real world operation. I see a huge increase going through buildings maybe 50-60%.  The tiny RF size might be the reason why the RF cuts through everything like radiation. We setup behind 3 large building the third of which contained 2 solid metal paint boots and a wall of metal motorcycle parts and lifts. Even with whips we got stable 2 bars receptions and sharkfins going through one unit was in the middle.  
On whips i can see a big increase. "I don't think till now Zaxcom receivers worked very good with whips and I always avoided it when range is needed." I don't think I will ever use whips again simply because remoting the antennas will always give me a better reception. 
The ZHD setup really amazed all of us especially the sharkfins through OneUnit. 

Me and JohnPaul Golasky drove away from my office parking lot. We parked 579 feet away and started walking.  

13063347_10209239627607643_5684778006786

At this point whips were lower but still receiving  drop free audio.   

Walking to the point below we started getting dropouts and lost the whips maybe because we had a building corner obstructing the line of sight. 

13002557_10209239627647644_4952164990734

Sharkfins were working strong even when we got to the point below. There were 12 busses between us and the line of sight. Sharkfins were receiving even if the mic was on Johnpaul's back and he was facing the line of sight.  

13047990_10209239627927651_1309382718305

Very impressive!

We only got the range below with AudioLTD and whips which is still not bad in my opinion.

13040870_10209239638007903_7099669808738

Quick note about range and analog wireless:

With analog wireless I use the term usable range. There is a point where sound quality is degraded even if the audio received is drop free. This is what I call an usble range. 

So zaxcom "even in this beta stage" have came up with something very special. I kind of expected it to be impressive when zaxcom offered to send me a unit for a test knowing that I would not sugar coat or hold back my criticism. 

Speaking of it here are the downsides: 

These first few ARE NOT cons since the product is in beta status and not finished: Other than basic frequency and gain nothing else works. None of the regular zaxcom goodies are enabled. I am sure Howy will take care of that.  

QRX2XX can only receive in single mode and IFB is disabled. 

Upgrading the receivers to dual boot cannot be reversed. I risked 2 of mine for the sake of the tests but had no problem booting and working with XR. 

Requires brand new hardware so no upgrade from transmitters. 

Not clear if QRX2XX can receive dual mode with firmware upgrade only. I am pessimistic but also believe the magic of Howy Stark. " Hey Howy. Disable the analog out DA converter if that helps. Most Zaxcom users I believe don't use analog anyways."  

I understand that TX cannot be upgraded and I am in peace with it but if I have to replace both TX and RX it becomes a little too much. 

Conclusion: 

I don’t see this as a AudioLTD vs Zaxcom review. While Zaxcom has a clear edge on range both systems are more alike. "again this is AudioLTDs first 100% digital wireless compared to Zaxcom"  

So what do we see from both AudioLTD1010 and Zaxcom ZHD technology?  

We see the future where fitting multiple mics in small chunk of RF space is actually possible and potentially trouble free.  

Analog wireless users can only dream about an efficient system free of intermodulation like what these two digital wireless systems provide and analog wireless users should lobby their favorite manufacturers to innovate and move in that same direction. Losing RF space to other more prominent industries is inevitable and what AudioLTD and Zaxcom are doing looks like the only solution. I often work in Los Angeles and can understand how these new technologies can simplify and make our job a lot easier in very polluted RF areas.  

Testing both system... I am not worried one bit. Even of the FCC leaves us with only 6mHz I can make it work.  
But only with digital.

Extra Q&A:

Sound:

The AudioLTD has a slight edge for being 48kHz and having a real limiter but other then that they sound pretty good. Zaxcom is 32kHz. Also Zaxcom sounds a little more sterile/cleaner "which I personally like". AudioLTD has some warmth to it. Think DPA 4017 vs schoeps CMIT5.

UPDATE!!! I met with Scott Boland from Redding Audio yesterday. The Dual SuperSlot is in the works.

This is a game changer for small digital wireless packages!!!

2 hours ago, dolo72 said:

Thanks for the review Rado. How about the sound quality - any differences between the two systems ?

thks Lisala

Dolo,

The AudioLTD has a slight edge for being 48kHz and having a real limiter but other then that they sound pretty good. Zaxcom might sound a little more sterile/cleaner which I like. AudioLTD has some warmth to it.

2 hours ago, chriskellett said:

I see the Audio Limited sample rate was 48k, what is the Zaxcom sample rate? 

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Thanks for the overview, Rado. Range and build quality are two things that hold Zaxcom wireless back and it seems like they keep making incremental improvements on both fronts. 

Zaxcom have surpassed other manufacturers in usable range since they introduced XR modulation 2 years ago.

"Quick note about range and analog wireless:

With analog wireless I use the term usable range. There is a point where sound quality is degraded even if the audio received is drop free. This is what I call an usble range. "

7 hours ago, chriskellett said:

I see the Audio Limited sample rate was 48k, what is the Zaxcom sample rate? 

Last I heard from Audio, the system is 44.1KHz.
I did ask if 48KHz was possible, but its a trade off between bandwidth and processing power.
I also asked Audio if their recording conversion software would be able to sample rate convert as well as exporting the audio file from the card, which they said that they would look into, but weren't sure if it would be possible.
I have found a program - Myriad - which will batch convert your files sample rate and preserves metadata.

On 19 avril 2016 at 9:28 PM, RadoStefanov said:

Zaxcom have surpassed other manufacturers in usable range since they introduced XR modulation 2 years ago.

I have done many tests with my trainees, on the same fréquency with all the usual brands (except ZHD and 1010) and it is not what I noticed.

On my tests, with whips antennas, all on the same fréquences (found by the Zaxcom Rx)  Zaxcom does not give a good range, even with the XR modulation. On my tests, Lectro (SrB) and Wisy (MCR42 ou MPR30) are really better.

Thanks for your test.

13 hours ago, VM said:

I have done many tests with my trainees, on the same fréquency with all the usual brands (except ZHD and 1010) and it is not what I noticed.

On my tests, with whips antennas, all on the same fréquences (found by the Zaxcom Rx)  Zaxcom does not give a good range, even with the XR modulation. On my tests, Lectro (SrB) and Wisy (MCR42 ou MPR30) are really better.

Thanks for your test.

I have always been saying that zaxcom does not work great with whips and I never use it if I need range. Still comparable to any other system our there. Zaxcom is a different animal. The difference between lectro on whips and lectro on dipoles is not very big. For digital Zaxcom the difference between whips and dipoles is big. But also for Zaxcom and European AudioLTD range does not matter."Card recording pre RF"

and again usable range "before hissing and artifacts and actual good quality range are 2 different things.

also the whole point I am making " and the FCC will require very soon" is the small footstep intermod free 20 mics in 6Hz. At this moment lectrosonics and Wisy do not have technology that is even remotely closer. I love Gordon and respect Lectrosonics as company but the clock is ticking and the ball is in their court.

8 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

For digital Zaxcom the difference between whips and dipoles is big. But also for Zaxcom and European AudioLTD range does not matter."Card recording pre RF"

I rarely use dipole antennas, but sometimes LPDA. I have to compare them with those antennas (plus multiplexer... that boots RF signal) for bigger shooting.

"Card recording pre RF" is OK, but I prefer not to need it...

I have rarely needed the recording feature on my Zaxcom wireless and the few times that I have use the xmtr recordings it has not been due to RF dropouts or range problems, but rather to do a better mix or pickup a line that I may have missed in my mix. I'm with you, VM, preferring to not need it, but feeling really good knowing that it is there should it be needed.

54 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I have rarely needed the recording feature on my Zaxcom wireless and the few times that I have use the xmtr recordings it has not been due to RF dropouts or range problems, but rather to do a better mix or pickup a line that I may have missed in my mix. I'm with you, VM, preferring to not need it, but feeling really good knowing that it is there should it be needed.

I'm curious, why wouldn't the editor go to your ISO's instead of the micro sd card? Wouldn't it be easier?

It's not the editor going to the micro SD card, it's me wanting to make a better mix, on the day, so editorial doesn't have to even concern themselves with the isos. Most of the projects I am on, the iso tracks are rarely needed, by any of us, and it's actually easier for me to re-mix by playing back the "Iso" track on the transmitter. This can be done while the transmitters are still on the talent. I do know some sound mixers who do this re-mix even between takes or setups if they have the time. I don't think I would ever do that but it is dirt simple.

Here is what I think about other wireless users logic:

I ask them:

Would you like to have pre RF recording on TX for drop free workflow? -It is cool but I am fine without it.

Would you like to be able to change gain, freqs, power state remotely? -It is cool but I am fine without it.

Would you like to have 100% pure sound without any artifacts and noise contamination? - It is cool but I am fine without it.

And now I ask?

Would you like to have 20+ mics in 6mHz of spectrum?

Insert answer here!