Zaxcom and AudioLTD digital wireless - the future

RadoStefanov

57 minutes ago, Richard Thomas said:

Just to elaborate, a computer and the (free) zaxconvert program is required in order to convert the MARF files into .wav at whichever sample rate you like (which can add some data wrangling time to your day).

The Audio 1010s record as .wav files, however they transmit at 44.1kHz so still need sample rate conversion and again some data wrangling time.

On the plus side, this may result in some overtime pay!

I'm puzzled by the 44.1 choice. Seems totally off-market. Off-target...

1 hour ago, Richard Thomas said:

I believe it was an engineering compromise, as the zaxcom do by running at 32kHz

"Sony DWX does real 48k. Audio signals up to near 24.000 Hz are transmitted, I measured. S/N ratio is a little bit lower in the upper frequencies over 12k or so. Nobody will ever hear it, it just sounds great. Maybe that's the trick."

So, if you feel the need to play the numbers game, go with the SONY, but your statement just validates what I was saying about Zaxcom "it just sounds great" --- no tricks, and "nobody will ever hear" over 16K, so what's the point?

I will add, it looks like Audio, Ltd. is doing 44.1 (?) and it just sounds great too!

"Just to elaborate, a computer and the (free) zaxconvert program is required in order to convert the MARF files into .wav at whichever sample rate you like (which can add some data wrangling time to your day)."

Actually, rather than elaborating, clarification is in order to avoid any confusion --- there is a time factor and a computer needed only if you need to access MARF files, something the majority of us never do. The media that I turn in is already in the proper industry standard .wav file and there is no waiting for this --- pull the CF or SD card and turn it in. So, by having both standard .wav file and MARF available immediately, there is no downside --- post gets the files they need, I get the security of MARF, it's a win-win and no additional time is spent. 

The confusion comes from the rarely used procedure of removing the microSD card from the transmitter in which case Zaxconvert utility will be needed to produce the .wav files post will use. If I need something off the microSD card in a transmitter, I just play it back and re-record it and turn in the files (.wav) as always.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

"Just to elaborate, a computer and the (free) zaxconvert program is required in order to convert the MARF files into .wav at whichever sample rate you like (which can add some data wrangling time to your day)."

Actually, rather than elaborating, clarification is in order to avoid any confusion --- there is a time factor and a computer needed only if you need to access MARF files, something the majority of us never do. The media that I turn in is already in the proper industry standard .wav file and there is no waiting for this --- pull the CF or SD card and turn it in. So, by having both standard .wav file and MARF available immediately, there is no downside --- post gets the files they need, I get the security of MARF, it's a win-win and no additional time is spent. 

The confusion comes from the rarely used procedure of removing the microSD card from the transmitter in which case Zaxconvert utility will be needed to produce the .wav files post will use. If I need something off the microSD card in a transmitter, I just play it back and re-record it and turn in the files (.wav) as always.

The times I've used zaxcom radios have been when the recording ability in the transmitters has been necessary in documentary/reality situation, so in these cases I've had to do the conversion for 3-4hour files afterwards in all transmitters (so playback's not a realistic option). It's a very specific job (which I rent for) and not one that comes up often for me and until the 1010s have become available, zaxcom a have been the only real choice for this kind of work.

Outside the US it now looks like we've got the Audio 1010s as a viable alternative with this function and I expect to look at both systems (and their availability) if something else which requires this comes up, data wrangling time may be a factor in this choice too.

As the person that was wearing the packs, I was blown away with ZHD. Rado wired me the same way he wires people on his show. We tried to make it as "real world" as possible.

It got to the point where somebody joked "I would never need this kind of range unless we were doing surveillance work". I've had a few shows in the past where this range would have been a game changer. The internal recording is a great feature, but the range is amazing for live monitoring of unscripted work.

For example I did a series for Nat Geo where I wired an officer doing surveillance. We set up a tripod inside our van with a super long lens. Having the ability to hear live what he was seeing, and knowing when to try to get a visual on the suspects, would have been great.

While we're talking about Zaxcom transmitter recording.. Do they still have "segment" limits? I remember with my TRX900AA you could set it to loop record, overwriting its card when full, but eventually you'd hit a "segment" limit and it would stop recording. 

1 hour ago, Richard Thomas said:

The times I've used zaxcom radios have been when the recording ability in the transmitters has been necessary in documentary/reality situation, so in these cases I've had to do the conversion for 3-4hour files afterwards in all transmitters (so playback's not a realistic option). It's a very specific job (which I rent for) and not one that comes up often for me and until the 1010s have become available, zaxcom a have been the only real choice for this kind of work.

Sorry, Richard, now I see what you're getting at --- specific use of the recording feature in documentary/reality situation. I mis-understood the comment that was saying that using Zaxcom wireless always added time to your day, downloading and converting, etc., I just wanted to clarify that this is not something that any of us do on a regular basis --- the exception, of course, is the sort of job you mentioned.

47 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

wasting time to download the TX sound??? What about saving time and making impossible thinks happen during production?

I've used the MicroSD recording as primary audio several times in non scripted situations where the only other option was to drop my bag in the trunk of the car. The ability to capture audio seamlessly without disrupting the flow is priceless - and the few minutes of data wrangling at the end of the day is totally worth it especially considering the kudos I get from production for being able to deliver the audio from the microphones without having to stop the action.

3 hours ago, Derek H said:

While we're talking about Zaxcom transmitter recording.. Do they still have "segment" limits? I remember with my TRX900AA you could set it to loop record, overwriting its card when full, but eventually you'd hit a "segment" limit and it would stop recording. 

Yes they do.  Standard limit is 250 segments. I believe howy put out a version with a 500 segment limit too.

Maybe I am in a totally different and diverse market but I have used TX recording:

On award ceremony shows "even on the stage": Grammy , Latin Grammy, ACM, Billboard ect.

I did a Netflix Comedy where the FOH was an ashole and did not let me have any wireless. I had 3 audience mics recording with no RF.

Fights: UFC and Boxing where there was absolutely no wireless allowed.

Planes: Zero gravity, F16s, Commercial jets. 

Cars: all different kinds of driving where putting a bag inside was a no no: Drifting, Buggies, speed records, races.

Any dangerous situations where I refuse to participate or be closer to the action.

Hidden camera.

Corporate meetings where the room is swept for bugs and corporate espionage is an issue.

Parashoot jumps.

Splitting talent physically away or where 2 scenes are going simultaneously.

People rolling sound without telling me. "happens all the time lately".

All kinds of elevator scenes where there is no space for the sound guy inside.

Unrealistic RF expectations from producers: -"what? You can not record that far away? If the walkie works why not your wireless.

Tough RF environments.

Having backup.

et cetera

et cetera

et cetera

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

Yes they do.  Standard limit is 250 segments. I believe howy put out a version with a 500 segment limit too.

There will be new trx software soon that amungst other things, like a more friendly and easier to navagate menu structure, auto frame rate detection and a few new cool features. With the update howy did say that he will be looking into expanding the maximum number for files per card. So stay tuned - zaxcom has been listening.

1 hour ago, Jack Norflus said:

There will be new trx software soon that amungst other things, like a more friendly and easier to navagate menu structure, auto frame rate detection and a few new cool features. With the update howy did say that he will be looking into expanding the maximum number for files per card. So stay tuned - zaxcom has been listening.

That's awesome.  I've been hoping Howy would implement a new menu structure for some time now, as well as auto frame rate detection.  I love watching these products evolve in coordination with their users.

7 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Low2 doesn't actually stop the recording - it shuts down the A to D converters. But I will inquire if that is possible - if it is possible, and it's not too difficult to implement I will see if that can be added as well.

Hey Jack, while you're inquiring about this, please reiterate my request to be able to control Low2 per TRX unit as opposed to always "ALL".

You're the man!

11 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Low2 doesn't actually stop the recording - it shuts down the A to D converters. But I will inquire if that is possible - if it is possible, and it's not too difficult to implement I will see if that can be added as well.

+1

3 hours ago, Jan McL said:

Hey Jack, while you're inquiring about this, please reiterate my request to be able to control Low2 per TRX unit as opposed to always "ALL".

You're the man!

+1