So I've been driving myself crazy lately with an audio issue that's really not an issue. I work with the same C300 very often, and I've been noticing some strange interference just recently.

I notice it during sit down interviews when I listen to the camera return...I hear little blips like digital crickets. the thing is, audio from the mixer is clean, so it's not the mics picking up interference. I've swapped out my cables and breakaways to the camera, so it's probably not them. Every so often I just start hearing these blips, very very softly in the background. It's not something you would notice unless you're listening for it, but I hear it loud and clear now. This problem also doesn't occur on other C300's (not that I've seen yet). I also know it's not the return cable picking up interference because the crickets are on the recorded clip (I've attached that below). The clip is room tone with the chirps on it from the last shoot.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

AA279501.MXF

So you don't get this sound when plugged into other cameras, recorders etc?  Are you sure?  If this is true then the most likely answer is that this particular camera has an issue with its audio circuits.  I've heard sounds like what you sent caused by remote focus units, HD accessing (not something this camera would be causing), faulty power wiring in a building or lighting gear, and various sorts of motion detector kinds of systems, but if the sound goes away when you unplug this camera then...   Can you get together with the owner of this camera and do some tests under controlled circs?

On 4/5/2016 at 10:56 PM, Philip Perkins said:

So you don't get this sound when plugged into other cameras, recorders etc?  Are you sure?  If this is true then the most likely answer is that this particular camera has an issue with its audio circuits.  I've heard sounds like what you sent caused by remote focus units, HD accessing (not something this camera would be causing), faulty power wiring in a building or lighting gear, and various sorts of motion detector kinds of systems, but if the sound goes away when you unplug this camera then...   Can you get together with the owner of this camera and do some tests under controlled circs?

Yes, I'm hoping its some heavy power lines just interfering with cables and not anything with the camera. It's always a weird conversation when you point something like this out to a camera person lol. I will definitely do some tests in the garage with the camera next.

On 4/5/2016 at 2:07 AM, Jaymz said:

I've heard very similar sounds when plugging headphones directly into cheap laptops (with headphone amps that are not isolated properly from the processor, harddrive etc). 

I thought it was this at first, but the sound is actually on the recording from the camera media and not just return. I'll have to keep doing additional tests.

Thanks for all the suggestions all!

I would strongly suggest some quality time be spent with this particular camera if you don't have the issue when cabled to anything else.  The owner of the camera may not want to hear they have a problem to fix, but that's life--they will like an angry call from a producer in post a lot less.  If it is a camera problem it may be indicative of something else wrong, or going wrong with the camera that could affect picture....