Recording dialogue of a motor cyclist.

Sam Turner

I've got a job coming up where a section of the program will be snippets of dialogue from a motor cyclist while he is on the bike. It's not a great deal but does need capturing. We will be in a camera car ahead of the bikes so I'm firstly concerned about range and obviously I'm not entirely sure on the best way to mic yet. I was thinking inside the helmet could give a good isolation from the horrendous amounts of inevitable wind noise? Any of you guys have experience with this? The range could be solved with Zaxcom systems so they record independently however I don't currently own them and budget has already been planned and maxed out so there's no more room for rentals.  

No more room for rentals, but the tyrannical image demands that the Sound Department figure it out anyway...

...I love telenovelas

...break down and cry-scream at your UPM, Producer, or Director, "Estoy embarazada papá/mamá"

Im sure they wont want you to record the motorcyclist after that. Yeah, pretty sure.

best

12 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

If he's wearing a helmet, it's only a few lines and more importantly production can't afford rentals.... just do it wild.

+1.

Record talent on the bike best you can, and do wild lines after. Then you can show production you did it both ways, and they can choose the lines they like.

You'll be a  team player, and they'll see that wild was best. Win-win.

Done a lot of motor cycle stuff ,will he/she have a headset comms on the helmet?. For feeding walkie talkie I've always had good audio if you can get them to wear a scarf or neck warmer if wearing bikers leathers it helps if it's not a full face helmet getting Mic in scarf.  if a full face helmet you can Mic in helmet helps with wind. If wearing a comma headset rig lab in Mic on the arm of comms headset rig. Richard