Panasonic DVX200

Anyone worked with one? I did yesterday and neither myself or the cam-op could figure out how to display large audio meters.

The small meters in the bottom are of little use, no idea what the white mark is meant to be (-12dbfs maybe?). I assume the red mark is 0dbfs.

DVX200-P1040111.jpg

Which version of the manual is that, Al?

I worked with the DVX200 once a couple weeks ago, and IIRC, there was one hashtag for -12dB.

Oh, I saved the manual. Page 68 of Volume 2 of the manual and page 68 SHOWS:

But I also think there has been a firmware upgrade. So perhaps things are different now?

dvx200_audiolevel.png

47 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

My Primary Rule For Sound On Dinky-Cams: feed it tone, make sure it's not distorting (like the input is a match for what you are sending, mic or line etc) and "split" the scale.  Park the tone right in the middle of whatever meter it is.  Works for me.

That's what I ended up doing. 

Good info everyone, annoying that they don't have a -20 mark. 

+ 1 to John B's ... "send max signal" -  comment:

Back in the 'SD 302' days - there was "Full Scale Tone."

Without (hopefully) putting too fine a point on things, Jamyz  -

(And, while attempting to tread lightly here, with - Providing this only as 'food for thought' -

No criticism, of any kind is intended, inferred, or implied.)

(And, not that any of it really matters, as  I understand it -

Your only real concern? ... Was just with the display of the camera meters, themselves? - But,)

You didn't mention what device, you were feeding the camera, with?

What I'm 'taking the long way' to say, is ... If you are using just a 'mixer' to feed the camera? -

And, if you have access to a 'Sound Devices 302' mixer? -

Why not give the "Full Scale Tone" option a try?

(Obviously, all of the above is a moot point ... If you don't access to a SD 302?)

This is only my '2 cents.'

20 hours ago, al mcguire said:

Good catch Jim, Google threw  the HVX  200 Manual in there and I  was multitasking and selected it. The benefits of community.

No worries. Panasonic's naming convention/fetish...DVX100, HVX200, DVX200...is pretty confusing.

2 hours ago, new mexico said:

Back in the 'SD 302' days -

You mean Monday and yesterday (for me at least)? :-)

On small camcorders that I'm not familiar with, I pretty much follow Phil's approach. John's approach makes very good sense, but I have memories of some little cameras (some Sonys, iirc?) clipping their headphone feeds before clipping on cards/tapes...and I --think-- I recall some clipping before they got to what their little meters suggest is 0dB. And I'm often in a hurry. And I figure if they're going to be happy with the audio on their camcorder, they'll probably be happy with audio that's a touch low (or at least happier with that than clipped audio).

3 hours ago, new mexico said:

+ 1 to John B's ... "send max signal" -  comment:

Back in the 'SD 302' days - there was "Full Scale Tone."

Without (hopefully) putting too fine a point on things, Jamyz  -

(And, while attempting to tread lightly here, with - Providing this only as 'food for thought' -

No criticism, of any kind is intended, inferred, or implied.)

(And, not that any of it really matters, as  I understand it -

Your only real concern? ... Was just with the display of the camera meters, themselves? - But,)

You didn't mention what device, you were feeding the camera, with?

What I'm 'taking the long way' to say, is ... If you are using just a 'mixer' to feed the camera? -

And, if you have access to a 'Sound Devices 302' mixer? -

Why not give the "Full Scale Tone" option a try?

(Obviously, all of the above is a moot point ... If you don't access to a SD 302?)

This is only my '2 cents.'

Good advice =) 

Knowing that dot is -12, I'll just send a -12 reference out of my 788 next time. Though what I did, going around half way then speaking loudly right into my boom while making sure it wasn't hitting the final red mark, worked. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Maybe I can piggyback on this thread...

I've got a director asking about the DVX200.  I saw the BNC TC I/O and thought, 'Great, that should work with a TC sync box'.  Then dug further and saw a review state:

Another BNC handles timecode I/O for jam-syncing between cameras: you can set the camera’s timecode generator to generate or to match a reference, but the camera itself doesn’t genlock to a master clock nor does it follow external timecode continuously.

This reminds me of the old firewire sync ports on HVX's.  Can anyone explain exactly how this works?  The camera will 'hear' the timecode from an external source like a sync box and then run off on it's own, drifting even if the sync box is left plugged in?

Looks like it's not going to work for us if it can't stay frame accurate to my Betso Box or Tentacle...

Parker

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2016 at 11:32 PM, John Blankenship said:

Rather than -20, send the camera max signal and adjust the cam so it is barely below the brick wall.  With your nominal at -20 you'll be properly adjusted and ready for action.  

I like full scale tone also. Eliminates a lot of guesswork. The one caveat is cameras like the A7S, which AFAIK has a non-defeatable limiter at -3, so the meters alone will deceive you. 

24 minutes ago, Abe Dolinger said:

I like full scale tone also. Eliminates a lot of guesswork. The one caveat is cameras like the A7S, which AFAIK has a non-defeatable limiter at -3, so the meters alone will deceive you. 

Good point.  With cameras I'm not sure of, time permitting, I'll sometimes do both -- find the traditional -20 and also see where the saturation point seems to be.