Dpa slim

Nir

Hey guys,

After several months that the Slim is on the market I would like to hear from your experience some feedback.

How is the color of the mic? Is it easy to work with it? how is the concealers? Does the "button hole holder" works good? Since the mic's grill is also open in the front (and not only in the upper-side like at the 406x) how does it work with Rycote over/under covers?

Thank you and Best regards, Nir

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 3:39 AM, Olle Sjostrom said:

Working with them now. We have no concealer though, and the snoots have gone awol, but they sound fantastic. Just like a "normal" 4060, and the mounting is very easy. On shirts it's been our go-to-rig. Great stuff

interesting you say they sound the same as a 4060?

I found them to sound different to my 4061's.

I have been using the DPA SCO60B00 model for a month now. Sound great, a little vulnerable to breath blasts, but my issue has been with durability. After the first day working with cowboys on horseback as talent, mics concealed in rycote stickies with undercovers, one mic came back with a small dent in grill. Next day, one mic was yanked from the sticky, leaving one side of the grill completely peeled back. Repaired with dot of superglue but... I've been trying to use these only under controlled setups now, and the grills are still getting dented. If they hadn't looked so used so quickly, I would probably have returned.

That's also one thing I noticed, that they're much more prone to damage. We have two slims and one of them is dented and the cable is peeled. Still working, but annoying as hell having to tape it up. Let's hope they improve to the next batch of whatever.

Using the concealers I noticed they're not as good with being under clothes as a regular 4060. Or to be fair it's pretty much hit or miss. Under some clothes, even thin garments (like silk) they sound a bit muffled. Under wool is (obviously) clear as day.

If they're in the open they sound spectacular. The snoot is great. The concealer doesn't really work the way I'm used to though

10 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

That's also one thing I noticed, that they're much more prone to damage. We have two slims and one of them is dented and the cable is peeled. Still working, but annoying as hell having to tape it up. Let's hope they improve to the next batch of whatever.

Using the concealers I noticed they're not as good with being under clothes as a regular 4060. Or to be fair it's pretty much hit or miss. Under some clothes, even thin garments (like silk) they sound a bit muffled. Under wool is (obviously) clear as day.

If they're in the open they sound spectacular. The snoot is great. The concealer doesn't really work the way I'm used to though

I know this may be obvious, but are you making sure the silver dot is facing away and not towards the chest? That will make the world's difference.

To be honest I'm not the one doing all the laving of talents, so maybe I've gotten to listen to a backwards mic once or twice because of my colleagues rushed (or my) work. This shoot is insane in tempo, so yes you could be right but I'm pretty sure we're thorough enough to check that at least.