What Just Happened?

Richard Ragon

Did anyone go see this movie?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/whatjusthappened/

Seams a movie about our industry would be pretty funny.. Had A-list stars in it too, but it seams to have come out in October, no theaters, no advertising, and I never saw it..

Anyone?

-Richard

Looks like it opened in the UK and died there. More on www.imdb.com

Eric

Well as I sit home watching my dozens of Academy DVD's on my new 40" HDTV LCD (sorry no Dolby 5:1 system yet but coming soon + Blu Ray DVD Player)

I watched "What Just Happened" - my thoughts were:  interesting very inside look at the travails of a film Producer, played by Robert De Niro. It has an excellent cast - but the general audience would yawn and say "See, those film people are real assholes."

It's too much art imitating real life in Hollywood.

Two thumbs down.

RL

It's too much art imitating real life in Hollywood.

Two thumbs down.

RL

Shows Sean Penn on the list of actors??  Watching the trailer, I didn't see him..

But, I think your right... boring to the civilans.  In fact, movie making in general is NOT a spectator sport thats for sure.  I get a kick out of people stopping on the street (cameras in hand) and standing there for 20 minutes trying to see whats going on on the set.. Only to get really board, and then move on.  Apparently, most people believe movies are filmed in real time..

Another really bad train wreck of a show, was "The Lot".  A reality TV show based on directors compeating for a spot along side of Spielberg at Dreamworks.  But due to the slow slow nature of filmwork, they didn't have any busy work for the contestants week after week, and that show dragged on forever while they tried to fill over 5 weeks of "dead air" with sob stories from the wannabe directors.  The only good part of that show was the dynamics between Fisher and Marshall.

-Richard

So, if we're on the topic of favorite films about the biz, I cast my vote for Christopher Guest's "The Big Picture" with Kevin Bacon, J.T. Walsh, and Jennifer Jason Leigh. 

A strong contender for a flick about making a low budget film is "Living In Oblivion."  For those of us who have labored in that world, it's almost too right-on-the-money to be funny.

JB

So, if we're on the topic of favorite films about the biz, I cast my vote for Christopher Guest's "The Big Picture" with Kevin Bacon, J.T. Walsh, and Jennifer Jason Leigh. 

A strong contender for a flick about making a low budget film is "Living In Oblivion."  For those of us who have labored in that world, it's almost too right-on-the-money to be funny.

JB

JB- Living in Oblivion for sure. that was basically my life as a 1st ad. (now you know why I got a real job in audio)

that dp w/the eye patch is classic.

re: the big picture, how many times has that happened to you. your buddy you struggled with makes it big time, only to hire "the man with the resume".

later

Art Linson's book version of What Just Happened is actually pretty funny. I guess at that level of the business, people are not only trying to succeed, they're rooting for their competition to fail. Very cut-throat.

Art's a very witty writer, and he names some interesting names. The stories of his failures are often more interesting than his successes.

And it's here on Amazon.

--Marc W.

JB

JB,

Don't forget- Swimming with Sharks.(or was it with the sharks?)

The Player was pretty good to.

later guys.