NAB rumor, speculation, and dreams thread

Shastapete

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.videodevices.com/news/video-devices-news/video-devices-previews-h-264-at-nab-2016

H.264 recording on PIX-E series of Video Devices recorders. Including simultaneous ProRes and H.264 recording. I have a PIX-E7 and PIX-LR which I often use on doc shoots when I'm on my own and it is really excellent. This is a welcome addition.

20 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

So is the range like double the Hudson test that was done with the previous modulation?

That wasn't tested with this modulation - but given the other test results - yes.

1 minute ago, AnuarYahya said:

Nice! Software upgrade? or whole new transmitter? does anybody know? 

New transmitter - software for all 200 series receivers.

Constantine:

That's hard to believe when all they (ATS) do is audio. 

The other Nagra (Kudelski Group) is the company which doesn't care about audio so much anymore. Maybe a mix-up?

NJT:

I think a lot of Nagras's time is taken up by developing gear for secret services/MOD. This is what I've heard anyway.

As most JW Sound people know, Stefan Kudelski invented the Nagra recorder, founded the company that built it and enjoyed great success in its development. From early on a number of government agencies in both Europe and the US contracted for specialty gear for espionage work and related activities. In one example, Kudelski built a cylindrical recorder that fit into a torpedo tube that could record data as it traveled. This government work soon equalled or exceeded the value of the development of professional audio recorders.

Kudelski had a very fertile mind and used company resources to develop a fax system to alert yachtsmen of weather conditions and involved the company in some joint projects with other companies. Not all of these endeavors were profitable. One in particular, a portable 2-inch video recorder developed in association with Ampex (if I recall correctly), nearly bankrupted the company. While they were busy perfecting an elegant 2-inch machine, others were bringing out 1-inch machines and the business all went that way.

Stefan Kudelski's son saved the company by developing decoder boxes for pay TV. That proved to be a very lucrative market and soon the pro audio machines, while valued as the company's heritage, became a small entity within the larger company.

In 2012 Pascal Maraux, Stefan Kudelski's son in law, spun off the audio business into a new company, Audio Technology Switzerland. Margaritte Kudelski, Stefan Kudelski's daughter*, was a partner in this new enterprise. In addition to the professional and hifi audio business, the new company also assumed the specialty security business with its CIA (etc.) contracts. Cyber security remained with the Kudelski Group.

David

*Margaritte is not Pacal's wife; he is married to another Kudelski daughter

Interesting. So it wasn't a mix up [emoji6]

So is it a rumor, speculation or a dream?

On 4/13/2016 at 11:39 AM, VAS said:

Will be beautiful if NAGRA introduce the VIII; sometime.

I posted the same earlier in the thread and contacted Nagra, they 'assured' me no such thing was immanent and went on to extoll the virtues of the current product (VI). Which while I agree is a wonderful product the fact they compared it's size to the Cantar kind of says it all really about where they're at and why some folks, like me, would like to see a VIII in a size comparable to other 6-10 track recorder/mixers currently available (instead of an 8 track the size of Cantar - the latest version of which is now 24 track).  

9 minutes ago, Matthew Sonnenfeld said:

"There are subtleties that may steer a user to one method over another[mix assist vs Dugan Speech system]"

Can anyone elaborate a bit more about what they are?

2 hours ago, Matthew Sonnenfeld said:

With 24 repetitions of the inventor's name in the press release, I think it's safe to say this is an officially licensed implementation, rather than a freebee from the expired patent.   Nice show of respect.