Blocking video with added horrible advice

At 2:30 there is a classic quote...   Boom as backup... Lav as primary,     no wonder so many indie / b grade productions end up sounding like indie / b grade crap.  Because from the ground up, they are given advice that renders them with c grade audio.  

Anyways,  made me mad hearing the advice that so many obviously take far to seriously into their careers.

hahhahahaha,  to good

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place. It should be in the Show me your bag discussion.

Ralphs_sound_bag.png

I'd love to do a reverse engineered video and send it to this guy.   We chose to cover every shot with the boom as the main audio coverage.   Now...  for the video,  we ended up using an iphone for main camera and we ran a red weapon as backup,  but.... in the end,  it didn't matter,  the iphone was just fine!

Realizing it could have been a continuity issue, at the last minute Boom Op picked bag off table to save the take. HERO!

Or, the worlds least ergonomic audio bag ever seen in the western world? 

Or, yourodetubecanon swag bag? (do not leave unattended!)

Or, the shit I do for my 2nd cousin.

Or, A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

3 hours ago, ProSound said:

I once had someone tell me when I asked them to turn the AC off  to just use outdoor wind protection indoors to "stop the AC windy noise" 

Were you able to successfully argue your point? or did it turn into a " you get what you get" sort of situation with the client calling three days later asking why it sounds "like that"?

3 hours ago, ProSound said:

I once had someone tell me when I asked them to turn the AC off  to just use outdoor wind protection indoors to "stop the AC windy noise" 

Oh boy....

I'm rather surprised that these YouTube / "internet video" folks haven't just resorted to pretending they are on a spaghetti western by rolling MOS and dubbing later. Then again, you at least need a good story and acting to pull that off and let's face it, that is rarely the case with these kind of "content creators".

6 hours ago, fiore said:

Were you able to successfully argue your point? or did it turn into a " you get what you get" sort of situation with the client calling three days later asking why it sounds "like that"?

I lost they didn't seem to think it was important so I am sure they just used the talent wireless instead the check cleared and I never heard a word from them about it. 

I did a movie once that every location was terrible for sound and I wasn't happy with anything I was delivering but the executives and post thought we were doing a good job and gave me a good reference so my motto is if they are happy I am happy these days 

On 2016-04-08 at 8:59 PM, astro said:

What is he doing with the plastic bag? Is that where he carries the sandwiches?

Man, you had me giggling for an hour. Wifey did not understand the humor. :-)

Coming to think of it, doesn't it look like he's taking a munch while the rest of the crew is filming during rehearsals?

Taking_a_munch.jpg

Love the part where John says: "I had some glitching at the end of the day, because the transmitters started to loose battery power..."

So, either they were not able to conjure up replacement batteries, or nobody was listening to the sound being recorded.

Epic fail. :-)

Cheers

Fred

On April 9, 2016 at 7:45 PM, ProSound said:

I lost they didn't seem to think it was important so I am sure they just used the talent wireless instead the check cleared and I never heard a word from them about it. 

I did a movie once that every location was terrible for sound and I wasn't happy with anything I was delivering but the executives and post thought we were doing a good job and gave me a good reference so my motto is if they are happy I am happy these days 

"If they are happy I am happy."

Words to live by I guess.

On April 9, 2016 at 0:53 PM, Wandering Ear said:

Don't worry if one transmitter gives out, you can always use their dialog from the other actors mic.

I've been in a situation where using the other lav worked best. No gear failure involved, just (really loud) yelling at close range in a pretty wide frame. Never say something will never work.

Best regards,

Jim

On 4/14/2016 at 11:45 AM, Jim Gilchrist said:

I've been in a situation where using the other lav worked best. No gear failure involved, just (really loud) yelling at close range in a pretty wide frame. Never say something will never work.

Best regards,

Jim

That wasn't quite what I was getting at, but you're right, there are situations where another actors lav may work just fine.  I was poking fun at his solution to the problem he was having with one wireless is to just forget it, rather than fix the issue. 

Left a comment for Mr. Hess:

Great demonstration of the in's and out's of blocking toward telling a story! That said, you've unwittingly stepped onto a turd luring just under the surface of the sound department sandbox with some of your thinking about the craft. I urge people who watch to take what Mr. Hess has to say on the subject of sound with a grain or two of salt. http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/27484-blocking-video-with-added-horrible-advice/&do=findComment&comment=314473

Perhaps he will come here and we can make our case.

• 3 weeks later...