Heat guns

Wandering Ear

I'm looking for recommendations for a new heat gun, primarily used for shrinking heat shrink tubing.  I would like one with variable temperature control, or at least more granular control than the 3 heat setting one I have now.  The current one I have is too hot and it's to easy to melt the cable insulation/techflex etc.

I bought on with a variable temp control, it seems to be a pwm control for the heating element, and it causes really bad pulsing in my lights, so I am returning it.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks

Steinel, B&D both have variable heat units. Heat shrink is rated (usually) at 160 degrees Centigrade... Judicious use of movement in and out to control the amount of heat reaching the shrink point should also be used in conjunction with temperatures close to what is required. I have rarely melted heat shrink and definitely no insulation with my two speed B&D. Techflex is a difficult animal to deal with. One has to be very careful not to melt it since it has a much lower melting point compared to any heat shrink. 

• 1 month later...

Do you guys use the hook nozzle accessory to help with heat shrink?

Side note: I've given up completely on tech flex. If you do manage to get it on a cable without melting it will someday get knicked and start unraveling and fraying all over. Every cable I ever made with tech flex ended up looking like shit after a year of use. Maybe it's just me.

I've never used the hook nozzle. techflex - ideally if you can find adhesive lined heatshrink, it helps in keeping the flex in place. Or you may experiment with some adhesive on the flex before you slip it inside the heatshrink. the key is low heat or very quick reduction by moving the thing in and out of the heating zone to avoid melting the nylon strands... Also if you can use a heated cutter (the techflex site sells some) to cut the flex, it melts the end of the strands and fuses them together...  

I use the hook half the time.  It's great for 3:1 and small stuff because it shrinks all sides of the tubing at the same time.

To cycle back, I've been using the Steinel for a bit now, and I really like it.  It's very stable when placed on a table facing up, and the temp controls seem very accurate.  Well worth the money IMO.