Zaxcom's new High Density wireless

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Peter Mega said:

Any plans on a new wide band "CL" camera link with ZHD to match my RX200 that I haven't even taken out of its box yet? This would be very welcome please. I purchased the RX200 to replace my RX900S but the current CL is not wide band so a new wide band CL would be the go. 

Thanks 

Zaxcom has stated in the past that a wideband CL was not in the plans as it requires the fixed narrow band filters it currently has to be able to successfully provide a clean transmission without spray on other nearby wireless.

ZHD on the CL also seems unlikely, as it is a mono modulation only, and CL needs to also be able to do stereo modulation.

While I don't want to say impossible or never happening, definitely not in the plans for the near future.

11 hours ago, howy said:

The new transmitters are the same as the current ones in all respects as far as the user is concerned (so they can also do 100MHz tuning). They are very similar except the new transmitters are capable of much higher signal to noise RF and very precise modulation. When a ZHD transmitter transmits the old modulation(s) it will have significantly higher dynamic range (RF wise) so you should be able to get more channels together even using the old modulation formats (maybe even 2 times as many). 

The software for ZHD on the transmitter and the receiver takes up a lot more horsepower. That is why the receiver can currently only receive one channel at a time for now.  If I can make the receiver do 2 channels at a time it will only require a software update.  

So I'm taking this to mean that even using stereo or XR modulation the new ZHD model transmitter will provide increased range? Or just tighter channel spacing?

And... maybe current 200 series receivers will be able to do dual ZHD in the future if you guys can figure out the programming? That's a pretty significant "if".

20 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

Zaxcom has stated in the past that a wideband CL was not in the plans as it requires the fixed narrow band filters it currently has to be able to successfully provide a clean transmission without spray on other nearby wireless.

ZHD on the CL also seems unlikely, as it is a mono modulation only, and CL needs to also be able to do stereo modulation.

While I don't want to say impossible or never happening, definitely not in the plans for the near future.

Ok. Thanks. Will have to re think my options for now 

Yes you can select XR on the new TRXLA3.  While ZHD modulation will not be initially available in Dual mode on the QRX200. We hope that we can get it to work with a software only change some time in the future. For now it is a single transmitter receiver when in ZHD mode.

31 minutes ago, glenn said:

Yes you can select XR on the new TRXLA3.  While ZHD modulation will not be initially available in Dual mode on the QRX200. We hope that we can get it to work with a software only change some time in the future. For now it is a single transmitter receiver when in ZHD mode.

Great thank you, nice to have the choice.

On 14.4.2016 at 3:01 AM, howy said:

When a ZHD transmitter transmits the old modulation(s) it will have significantly higher dynamic range (RF wise) so you should be able to get more channels together even using the old modulation formats (maybe even 2 times as many).

- So the generation 3 transmitters will be able to transmit on the old standard as well, correct?

- Will the TRX743 record in stereo?

- Will there be a Timecode/Mono out on the TRX743?

So the generation 3 transmitters will be able to transmit on the old standard as well, correct?

Yes

If in stereo mode yes

Yes if you mean RF transmission

Glenn

6 hours ago, glenn said:

So the generation 3 transmitters will be able to transmit on the old standard as well, correct?

Yes

If in stereo mode yes

Yes if you mean RF transmission

Glenn

1+2: fantastic! Thanks Zaxcom!

3: Too bad, I am waiting for years for such a feature, a 3,5mm plug with TC/Monitor out. Seams I'll have to wait for the TRX744 and keep on using other recorder on camera:-(. See discussion here:

So, if (for example) no solution will be found to get the QRX200 able to receive two of these new transmitter, the only way to use them is just one TX for QRX, right? So basically: 1) if I want to use two TXs (dual mode) I'll have to use the old XR modulation; 2) if I want to use the new modulation, it is better (cheaper) to me to buy the RX200 instead of the QRX200....

I hope I've understand well...

52 minutes ago, vale said:

So, if (for example) no solution will be found to get the QRX200 able to receive two of these new transmitter, the only way to use them is just one TX for QRX, right? So basically: 1) if I want to use two TXs (dual mode) I'll have to use the old XR modulation; 2) if I want to use the new modulation, it is better (cheaper) to me to buy the RX200 instead of the QRX200....

I hope I've understand well...

Correct. To try to make it as clear as water:

As it currently stands, all 200 series receivers (QRX200, QRX235, RX200, QRX212 modules for RX-12) will only able to receive one channel of the new modulation from a single ZHD transmitter (after software update).

If you want to use dual mode on the QRX200, QRX235, or RX-12 QRX212 modules, you'll need to change the modulation to XR. Whether it is cheaper to buy a single mode receiver along with a ZHD transmitter remains to be seen, because there is still a slight possibility that Zaxcom may get two ZHD channels out of dual mode receivers in the future.

Just a small correction here. It is our goal to make the QRX200, QRX235 and RX212 modules for the RX12 receive 2 transmitters with only a software upgrade. This may or may not be possible. We will know this summer.

T-1 and counting

Glenn