Zaxcom's new High Density wireless

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Mosdeaf said:

Has there been any pricing information on the ZHD wireless? If the release is less than 2 weeks away I would imagine this info is available. 

The 3 series wireless will be the exact same pricing as the 2 series.

Regarding the release date - Zaxcom originally projected the release will be 6 to 8 weeks after NAB - and I know Howy has been working his tail off and even working weekends on it to hit the 6 week mark as a sense of pride. He is almost done but he still has a few minor tweaks left to the software. So realistically looking ZHD will be closer to the 8 week mark. But as a bonus he will be implementing a completely new streamed lined menu structure. Navigation will be simple and easy.    

There are transmitters built ready to ship as soon as Howy is done with the software. And when he is done he will get to see his wife and daughter again.

On 5/20/2016 at 0:18 AM, Shastapete said:

Not Rado, but according to Zaxcom the new TXs are about 2 weeks away (per talking with them at last weekend's Gotham Sound event)

200/235/212 Rx will be able to do 2 channels of ZHD with the caveat of 200 KHz Tx channel spacing. I'm sure the firmware for the new modulation will be released with the new Tx.

-- If anyone has more up to date info, please correct 

Excellent! That's a fairly minor caveat to worry about :)

Thanks for all the info folks! Very exciting times, can't wait!

7 hours ago, ProSound said:

I only wish Zaxcom could make a Stereo Unislot RX. Even if it wasn't as wide band as its other products

The new SRX220 is stereo or mono receive from a single transmitter. I am guessing you meant Dual receiver from 2 transmitters. For this our QRX200 or RX12 with RX212 receivers will remain as our solution.

Glenn

On 17 May 2016 at 2:21 AM, jgbsound said:

Oh that's reassuring.  I have two older 900LTs that are in Block 26, that will need to be reblocked once that range goes away.  

Don't count on it. Zaxcom would not reblock my older TRX900AA and RX900S. 

I wanted this done because the above is in block 31 and now illegal. i wanted to change it to a lower block and have a system to use with my brand new, unopened RX200 which would've given me a tx and 2 x rx for those times I want to send a stereo mix to 2 destinations. 

Just sayin, don't rely on them for block changes to existing older gear. Speaking from experience and not in general. 

1 hour ago, Peter Mega said:

Don't count on it. Zaxcom would not reblock my older TRX900AA and RX900S. 

There is no issues reblocking LA or LT transmitters or QRX receivers. The older AA transmitters and RX900S receivers which have been out of production for at least 6 or 7 years be changed to to the lack of availability of the components. 

If you ask me, new menu structure is almost as exciting as ZHD.. always felt like navigating the Zaxcom wireless menu was like navigating inside the programmers brain. And having the factory menu so easily accessible is bad. Especially since some of the settings in the extended menu are duplicated in the factory menu so it's easy to lose track of where you are..

Next stop, new GUI for Maxx please! : )

I think ProSound is hoping for a slot mount dual receiver to use with a sound devices SL6...

Maybe eventually a scaled down version of the RX12 for smaller bag use should be an idea.

3 hours ago, Derek H said:

If you ask me, new menu structure is almost as exciting as ZHD.. always felt like navigating the Zaxcom wireless menu was like navigating inside the programmers brain. And having the factory menu so easily accessible is bad. Especially since some of the settings in the extended menu are duplicated in the factory menu so it's easy to lose track of where you are..

Next stop, new GUI for Maxx please! : )

I think ProSound is hoping for a slot mount dual receiver to use with a sound devices SL6...

Maybe eventually a scaled down version of the RX12 for smaller bag use should be an idea.

Next stop new maxx2.0

Slot dual RX sounds great but as far as I know it will be only single.

8 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

There is no issues reblocking LA or LT transmitters or QRX receivers. The older AA transmitters and RX900S receivers which have been out of production for at least 6 or 7 years be changed to to the lack of availability of the components. 

Well something doesn't add up because they reblocked my colleague's TRX900AA and RX900S towards the end of last year but would not do mine the beginning of this year. Only a matter of about 3 months or less and suddenly they're not reblocking older gear. 

24 minutes ago, Peter Mega said:

Well something doesn't add up because they reblocked my colleague's TRX900AA and RX900S towards the end of last year but would not do mine the beginning of this year. Only a matter of about 3 months or less and suddenly they're not reblocking older gear. 

I don't know this, but it's possible they ran out of stock on a component that is no longer available.

28 minutes ago, Peter Mega said:

2 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

I don't know this, but it's possible they ran out of stock on a component that is no longer available.

Exactly it's not that Zaxcom doesn't want to do it - it's a matter of the availability of components. 

8 hours ago, Derek H said:

I really like the new menu structure, it's what it should've been all along!

Don't worry the factory menu will still be accessible.

What will be happening is the main menu will essentially be the Home screen, the gain menu, the frequency menu and the lock screen.

Everything else be in the extended menu - and will fall into one of the following 6 menu items:

Recording

ZaxNet

Time Code

Audio

Transmitter Settings

Setup

Then all items related will be in a sub menu of those items. So for example you want to change a ZaxNet related item you simply select ZaxNet from the extended menu and you now have access to all the ZaxNet parameters in one menu. And the items in case sub menu will be in order of use - some more frequently used items will be on the top of the list. 

46 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

Don't worry the factory menu will still be accessible.

What will be happening is the main menu will essentially be the Home screen, the gain menu, the frequency menu and the lock screen.

Everything else be in the extended menu - and will fall into one of the following 6 menu items:

Recording

ZaxNet

Time Code

Audio

Transmitter Settings

Setup

Then all items related will be in a sub menu of those items. So for example you want to change a ZaxNet related item you simply select ZaxNet from the extended menu and you now have access to all the ZaxNet parameters in one menu. And the items in case sub menu will be in order of use - some more frequently used items will be on the top of the list. 

Is the factory menu keeping all options?

The transmitters will do individual sleep -- pretty much always have.  Except for a short period quite some time back, when a new version of firmware accidentally changed it and Howy quickly repaired the function, all 900 series transmitters have had that function for at least six years in my experience.  This can be achieved via an IFB100 or IFB200.

It is still a feature waiting implementation in the NOMAD.

You simply need to assign a different UNIT CODE to each transmitter, which of course, is already necessary for individual gain and frequency control via an IFB100/200 or NOMAD.

4 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

The transmitters will do individual sleep -- pretty much always have.  Except for a short period quite some time back, when a new version of firmware accidentally changed it and Howy quickly repaired the function, all 900 series transmitters have had that function for at least six years in my experience.  This can be achieved via an IFB100 or IFB200.

It is still a feature waiting implementation in the NOMAD.

You simply need to assign a different UNIT CODE to each transmitter, which of course, is already necessary for individual gain and frequency control via an IFB100/200 or NOMAD.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, I was referring to the Nomad functionality of individual sleep. But you are right it is a Nomad software feature.