Zaxcom's new High Density wireless

Jeff Wexler

19 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

The transmitters will do individual sleep -- pretty much always have.  Except for a short period quite some time back, when a new version of firmware accidentally changed it and Howy quickly repaired the function, all 900 series transmitters have had that function for at least six years in my experience.  This can be achieved via an IFB100 or IFB200.

It is still a feature waiting implementation in the NOMAD.

You simply need to assign a different UNIT CODE to each transmitter, which of course, is already necessary for individual gain and frequency control via an IFB100/200 or NOMAD.

I might be missing something but from my QRX IFB there is no control option to select separate Tx's for sleep mode, it's all done via group mode, as with the remote roll etc so it controls all Tx's at once. I do remember maybe seeing a different mode ages ago on an IFB100..? Either way it was far to cumbersome time wise to use use in practice. I think a separate TRX control unit with hardware buttons to control separate Tx's would be a great accessory, say to match the RX12 it would be a small control surface with buttons for rec/stop/play/sleep/wake etc for each Tx. Kind of mixing a bit of old school manual tech with the new school zax high tech. All has to work within one group mode of course.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, John Blankenship said:

To clarify:

Currently, with a Nomad it's easy to individually control both gain and frequency for eight transmitters.  Still on the Nomad request list is individual control of LOW2, WAKE, and ON.

Both the IFB100 and IFB200 will do all the above.

This has not been my fairly recent experience with IFB100, sadly.

Even with only one unit selected to control, asking the IFB100 to sleep that one unit turned all units off. Dunno what versions, etc., since IFB100 is now off line and boxed with the Nomad Oasis cart rebuild.

The capacity to sleep individual units via Nomad Oasis would be a godsend.

As previously mentioned, there was an older firmware version (I'd guess at least  a couple of years back, maybe further) that had "broken" individual transmitter WAKE/LOW2 functionality, but once reported, Howy promptly fixed it 

Before making yesterday's post I double checked by testing transmitters with both 9.21 and 9.41 firmware versions with an IFB100 running vers. 9.21.  Individual sleep and wake worked fine.

If the situation presents itself, Jan, knowing all the firmware versions might help us narrow down the issue you encountered -- for another  time, perhaps.

6 hours ago, Jan McL said:

This has not been my fairly recent experience with IFB100, sadly.

Even with only one unit selected to control, asking the IFB100 to sleep that one unit turned all units off. Dunno what versions, etc., since IFB100 is now off line and boxed with the Nomad Oasis cart rebuild.

The capacity to sleep individual units via Nomad Oasis would be a godsend.

Same here Jan, my units used to sleep individually but not now. I will check what version they are on but i am sure its the latest, maybe it happened when i went through the v7.30 upgrade. Anyway it would be good to have it back.

Tony

42 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

Same here Jan, my units used to sleep individually but not now. I will check what version they are on but i am sure its the latest, maybe it happened when i went through the v7.30 upgrade. Anyway it would be good to have it back.

Tony

Did you have Zaxcom do the v7.30 upgrade?

My understanding is that the above/below v7.30 situation has to do with proper calibration of the transmitter's power output.

Questions:

What firmware is the transmitter using?

What firmware is the IFB100 or IFB200 using?

Can you still change frequencies on each transmitter via the IFB100 or IFB200?

Do all the transmitters have the same GROUP CODE?

Does each transmitter have a unique UNIT CODE?

Is ALLOW IFB REMOTE CONTROL set to ON in each transmitter?

What further anomalies have you observed or details can you offer?

3 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Did you have Zaxcom do the v7.30 upgrade?

My understanding is that the above/below v7.30 situation has to do with proper calibration of the transmitter's power output.

Questions:

What firmware is the transmitter using?

What firmware is the IFB100 or IFB200 using?

Can you still change frequencies on each transmitter via the IFB100 or IFB200?

Do all the transmitters have the same GROUP CODE?

Does each transmitter have a unique UNIT CODE?

Is ALLOW IFB REMOTE CONTROL set to ON in each transmitter?

What further anomalies have you observed or details can you offer?

IFB100 v7.30P

all trx900 on same group Id but seperate unit id 

allow ifb control set to on

all other functions via IFB100 work as does sleep except they all sleep even when I select an individual unit #

58 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

IFB100 v7.30P

all trx900 on same group Id but seperate unit id 

allow ifb control set to on

all other functions via IFB100 work as does sleep except they all sleep even when I select an individual unit #

Do they quit sending audio and RF, or does the readout just indicate LOW2? With some testing, I've discovered a bug that misrepresents that additional units have gone to LOW2, but they are still actually working.  I've passed info about this on to Howy. (You don't see the main screen that indicates LOW2 if the unit is set to lock.)

What version firmware are your transmitters using?

BTW, an IFB100 does not need to go back to the mothership to transition past v.7.30P, that just applies to transmitters.

So does the IFB side of the QRX's not offer the same functionality as an IFB100 / 200? Pretty sure I'm running latest firmware as updated everything to latest a few months ago, will check tonight. Everything else is fine, remote gain from Mix 12, remote freq change on separate Tx's via QRX's, remote roll either by slave from fusion or from QRX/IFB, my only sleep/wake control is via QRX/IFB menu and is group based, no separate unit ID option that I can find...

2 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Do they quit sending audio and RF, or does the readout just indicate LOW2? With some testing, I've discovered a bug that misrepresents that additional units have gone to LOW2, but they are still actually working.  I've passed info about this on to Howy. (You don't see the main screen that indicates LOW2 if the unit is set to lock.)

What version firmware are your transmitters using?

BTW, an IFB100 does not need to go back to the mothership to transition past v.7.30P, that just applies to transmitters.

I am running V9.34 on my TRX900's

when I go to low power on my IFB100 (even with an individual unit ID selected) they all go to low power and the receivers all go to LED red with no RF transmission

4 hours ago, cjh said:

So does the IFB side of the QRX's not offer the same functionality as an IFB100 / 200? Pretty sure I'm running latest firmware as updated everything to latest a few months ago, will check tonight. Everything else is fine, remote gain from Mix 12, remote freq change on separate Tx's via QRX's, remote roll either by slave from fusion or from QRX/IFB, my only sleep/wake control is via QRX/IFB menu and is group based, no separate unit ID option that I can find...

TRX's running 9.34, QRX on 3.73, QIFB on 1.58

I will investigate the individual sleep issue and also see if I can squeeze in auto frame rate detection too.  

I posted TRX-947 (from May 11) to the Zaxcom forum Files thread which has the ability to go backwards thru the menu system if no card is inserted.

-howy

www.zaxcomftp.com/fileshare/software/TRX-947.zip

9.47 May 11 2016
    Added audio gain calibration page in factory menu
    When no card is inserted you can now hold card and press + MENU to go backwards through the menu system

9.46 May 3
added one-time store of all settings into BIGROM when burning ROM (only if safe settings do not exist)
turned on write protection for both ROMs.

9.43 Apr 6
added support for transmitting QR2-xxx.bin file to a QRX

9.41 Feb 24
fixed seg number displaying "000" on some screens when recording has not yet begun

Hi Howey, can you confirm, is the functionality of the IFB on a QRX supposed to be exactly the same as with the dedicated IFB100/200's? (apart from RF output). As noted above, I have no menu option to select individual units for sleep/wake mode.

Also can you confirm, when in sleep mode do the Tx's automatically stop recording (if they were in rec mode prior).

Thanks,

Chris.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:37 AM, Jack Norflus said:

The transmitters do not stop physically recording in Low2 mode - but the A to D converter is powered down so there is no audio.

It would be nice if we have something like LOW3 mode where AD and recorder work but RF is off. If it is possible to achieve without rebooting..

I know that Rado and José know this, but for the uninitiated looking in, AD and recorder working with RF off (i.e. the transmitter operating as just a recorder) can already be achieved in a Zaxcom transmitter via an Extended Menu setting.  The above wish list item is to be able to do it via Zaxnet remote control.  If another function that Howy is working on turns out to be viable -- and he thinks it might be -- then this could possibly be doable.  Of course, it won't be alone somewhere on the very long Wish List.

I just got an update from the guys over at Gotham about my order...

Glenn was just hear (sic) and confirmed the same thing!  The hardware is ready to go Howie is just plugging away on the software!

Could start seeing them in the next week or 2.

Nick Huston

Gotham Sound NYC

• 3 weeks later...