Zaxcom's new High Density wireless

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Jack had his normal bag rig with SNA600A antennas connected directly to the QRX200 (no mic plexer). Standing on sidewalk in front of Gotham Sound. Max Futterman walked down the street and made it over 1,000 feet iirc. I know he made it past Steinway.

The second test was him walking around the corner and basically the signal had to go through Gotham's building. The building is an early 1900s 2 story steel rebar reenforced concrete factory building (that's full of RF transmitting stuff). My Dad's machine shop was in a similar building, so I know how they're built. Those floors can hold 10,000 pound milling machines and lathes with no issues.

He made it about halfway up that block before there were hits.

The distance is really impressive, and when you combine it with the backup safety of the internal card recording, there are some amazing things that will happen for doc/reality. Thinking back, this could have changed the way I did a few things.

Also, for cart work I think we'll see a lot more flexibility of "I'll make Camp Sound here". Same deal when getting the cart inside is tight and you'd rather be on the street, which I often try to do.

All of this is not to overshadow the narrowband footprint of ZHD. That's pretty significant too. Especially if you're concerned about what's going to happen when we lose 600-698MHz.

402bee4a906e9f84053268600bc2d042.jpg

Sorry to be late on this--for the walk test above w/ new Zax TX in Manhattan, can you give me some comparison to a diff wireless in that same test?  If you didn't have time to walk a "control" wireless in the same path at that time can you give your opinion of the diffs in range based on your experience in that area?  Like how well you think your current wireless would have done?  thx

The first test we did yesterday was over 3 city blocks (just past the corner of Steinway Street) without any hits. According to Google Maps, that's around 290 meters, which comes out to just under 1,000 feet. Max kept walking past Steinway and Jack was still getting very good range but with some hits. Eventually Max reached towards 41st street (the next street after Steinway), and somewhere around there we lost him completely.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 3.40.35 PM.png

2 hours ago, Derek H said:

Great! Curious about whip antenna range. For doc I'm not plugging in an SNA600.

The walk test that Jack and I did in Midtown Manhattan just before NAB, we did with just whips, and we got solid range for 2 city blocks, around 160 meters, which works out to a bit over 500 feet. We kept walking and kept getting good range, but again not without hits. After 3 city blocks we were getting barely any signal IIRC, but once we tried with dipoles we got good range again.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 3.45.02 PM.png

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Sorry to be late on this--for the walk test above w/ new Zax TX in Manhattan, can you give me some comparison to a diff wireless in that same test?  If you didn't have time to walk a "control" wireless in the same path at that time can you give your opinion of the diffs in range based on your experience in that area?  Like how well you think your current wireless would have done?  thx

We did also have a Lectro Digital Hybrid set in play (411a + SMQV). It was set to different frequencies than the ZHD set, though I believe in the same block (block 26). We got pretty much the same results with the ZHD and Lectro sets. Again, YMMV.

This is all good news.  I'm itching to get my hands on those transmitters.  Gotham told me it'd be about a month before Zaxcom starts shipping.  

Just a question Jose: For that range (~1000 feet)  were you transmitting at 25mw or 50?  (I'm assuming the higher mw output).

John 

3 minutes ago, jgbsound said:

This is all good news.  I'm itching to get my hands on those transmitters.  Gotham told me it'd be about a month before Zaxcom starts shipping.  

Just a question Jose: For that range (~1000 feet)  were you transmitting at 25mw or 50?  (I'm assuming the higher mw output).

John 

I heard all the hardware is about ready, all they need to finish is the software, so it may be faster than a month. For the walk test yesterday the power output setting was 100mW.

7 minutes ago, jgbsound said:

Excellent!  Weird, I though the guy at Gotham said they only had two flavors of mw output; 25 & 50.  

The TRXLA3 and TRX743 will be able to do 25, 50 and 100. The TRXLT3 (single AA battery version) will only be able to do 25 and 50. Similar to the current generation of TRXs.