Cedar DNS 2 Portable NR unit

Jason A

• 7 months later...

I just finished a movie with 6 models in Bikini's. I had no control over mic placement because they did not want me, a male, to touch them. Needless to say i had some clothing rub. Will Cedar help with clothing rub. We also shot in a hot tub and at a water fall.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:06 PM, Matthias Richter said:

after a software update the DNS2 got a HPF. But in my experience if you‘ve got dialog on top of a low freq noise you‘ll still get those pumping / gate effects

Try disabling the [Learn]-function and listen if you get less pumping.

Of course it won't catch dynamic noise sources, but it will still do noise reduction based on the noise floor analyzed before disabling the [Learn]-function.

Have a nice weekend

Fred

30 minutes ago, newzhack said:

I just finished a movie with 6 models in Bikini's. I had no control over mic placement because they did not want me, a male, to touch them. Needless to say i had some clothing rub. Will Cedar help with clothing rub. We also shot in a hot tub and at a water fall.

It will attenuate some of the noise from the hot tub and the water fall, for sure.

Clothing noise, a bit, depending on the level and composition of the noise. The Izotope RX De-rustle plug-in can also help out a bit. And if you go for post production processing, the Izotope Voice Denoiser is really good for noise reduction.

I used the Cedar for a live streaming last week, for a clothing company. The host tried different jackets and coats, and the Cedar noise reduction helped out - no hidden lavs though, but still.

Cheers

Fred

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

I used mine on a livestream a couple weeks ago; it really helped kill the traffic noise from the road 25' away.

I found the DNS2 does not work too well on traffic noise or anything with low frequency content for that matter. The lows go up and down with the dialog. Audible and distracting.

Its magic on fans and indoor ambience though.

8 hours ago, Matthias Richter said:

I found the DNS2 does not work too well on traffic noise or anything with low frequency content for that matter. The lows go up and down with the dialog. Audible and distracting.

This is true of the "classic" 6-fader Cedars as well, good for broadband constant sort of BGs like HVAC, esp if you can put an HPF in front of it.  Not so much for random noises like lav rustle or boom handling or footsteps etc--leave those for post.

8 hours ago, Matthias Richter said:

Talent was two women, so I was able to highpass more aggressively than usual. I'm sure the sound quality would have been unacceptable for any "real" job, but this was a volunteer gig to livestream a fundraiser where audibility was more important than audio quality.

• 5 months later...

I've been using the Cedar DNS2 as a digital insert for some time now, but a couple of weeks ago, I used it as a mic preamp, ADC and noise-reduction unit sending an AES/EBU signal to my Sound Devices mixer. And the Cedar mic preamp sounded really good.

I set up a temporary voice-over "studio" in a mid-sized "blackbox" at a film production company's place. There were black curtains to cover the walls which worked well as simple absorbers. Then there was some standing waves in the low-end that I really couldn't do much about, except for engaging the noise-reduction.

I must say that the mic preamp performed really well, sounding transparent and engaging, and 4dB of noise-reduction suppressed the room acoustics in a natural way. I didn't even tell the director I was using noise-reduction, he just said to the producer, "listen to how great it sounds, even in this room". Ahh, well. 🙂

What the DNS2 did for me, was to take out the somewhat troublesome room acoustics in a very natural way, without tampering with the naturalness of the voices - and I'm very picky about such things. Which gave the director a feeling of how it would sound in his movie, and I was able to provide very nice-sounding headphone monitoring to the talents.

Cedar worked tremendously well, as it has always done for me.

It made me look good. 🙂

Cheers

Fred