Zaxcom TRX 742 and AKG Blue Line SE 300

joinwooHK

Hey guys,

I recently bought a AKG Line SE 300 to swap my boom mic (originally 4017 work like charm) ,but i experience a crazy RF pollution while i plug the SE 300 (even without the capsule mod) into short cable (no matter it is soldered to shield of the connector or not , i try both )  into the TRX 742 , it got very noticeable RF noise no matter i switch to Any Transmitting mode on The 742. However , it is fine if directly plug the Se300 to the 742 and go though a coiled cable boom , The RF noise  gone. However i do put the transmitter at the top of boom while i do Drama shooting. Anyone can advice how to eliminate the problem ? Thanks Guys

try using a different type of cable for the short jumper.
also try neutrik EMC connectors, particularly the female XLR.
what make is your suspension?

i think zaxcom has a solution using capacitors in the XLR, so see what they will advise too.

all my connector are Neutrik gold or sliver , but not EMC one

And i try pulling out the mic from shock mount , it is the same .

And in fact do any kind of cable can eliminate  RF?  i try out the Ambient QAT , DPA  cable(4017BR Set), Star Quad Cable , think Sommer Cable .......

I am going to buy some EMC to try out if i saw that in shop

I use 742 with stereo analog cone. I have a regular 5pin to two 3pin XLR jumper cable also a cable with EMC connectors with Ferrite Core ring made by Gotham Sound. (Tried without Ferrite Core ring as well) .From my experience, basically you are out of luck with TRX 742 IF using a jumper cable AND a non-RF/EMI protected mic. I have tried;

-Audio Technica 4073 /useless

-Mkh50 /fine

-Schoeps CMC4/useless

-416/fine

-Audix SCX one/useless

I would say don't spend your money on EMC connectors. YES! they do reduce but still unusable. But I have figured out a solution;

I swithced my lectro angled antenna on my 742. Using a bongo tie, once batteries are loaded and turned on, I press the antenna towards the body of 742 and secure it with bongo tie so the antenna is touching the body of the unit. TADAAAA! RF noise is gone. I have done this trick for over 8-9 days of shoot with success.

So you might ask, antenna positioned like that, how is the reception effected? ... Well, in my case I didn't see much of a difference but it wasn't a test. I was working. Sometimes distance was what ever the size of a basketball gym was....

Engin.

I've run into this issue as well with the 742 and fairly short jumper cables. Mine happened with a DPA 4017b and Mogami Gold jumper. Same exact issue. RF noise with jumper, no noise connected directly to the mic. Fortunately I don't have issues when plugged into the base of a cabled boo either. However, I did buy 2 K-Tek right angle attachments for a couple poles last year and had the same rf issue when those were used. I blamed it on the connectors at the time, but it sounds like it's more of an issue with the 742. 

1 hour ago, enginufuk said:

I use 742 with stereo analog cone. I have a regular 5pin to two 3pin XLR jumper cable also a cable with EMC connectors with Ferrite Core ring made by Gotham Sound. (Tried without Ferrite Core ring as well) .From my experience, basically you are out of luck with TRX 742 IF using a jumper cable AND a non-RF/EMI protected mic. I have tried;

-Audio Technica 4073 /useless

-Mkh50 /fine

-Schoeps CMC4/useless

-416/fine

-Audix SCX one/useless

I would say don't spend your money on EMC connectors. YES! they do reduce but still unusable. But I have figured out a solution;

I swithced my lectro angled antenna on my 742. Using a bongo tie, once batteries are loaded and turned on, I press the antenna towards the body of 742 and secure it with bongo tie so the antenna is touching the body of the unit. TADAAAA! RF noise is gone. I have done this trick for over 8-9 days of shoot with success.

So you might ask, antenna positioned like that, how is the reception effected? ... Well, in my case I didn't see much of a difference but it wasn't a test. I was working. Sometimes distance was what ever the size of a basketball gym was....

Engin.

Cmc 4 is T power. Do you mean a converted cmc or a cmc 5?