Lithium 9V Packaging

Joshua Anderson

We were organizing and packing a big expendable order yesterday while loading our truck to start a show. We had ordered 400 Lithium 9 Volt batteries to cover the first few episodes. The Dynamis brand that we normally order has recently been shipping in ridiculously extra packaging to hold just 10 batteries. We removed the plastic holder and were able to fit 21 batteries in the cardboard box. 40 boxes down to 19. 

I know the packaging probably has something to do with shipping, but all that extra plastic is just awful. 

Josh

IMG_3255.JPG

The packaging of the lithium batteries with the caps and the molded plastic is all designed to prevent a fire. I assume that the 'enormous' packing for 10 batteries is so they can be shipped by air? Lithium battery fires have brought down several airplanes.

"In October 2010, the FAA issued a Safety Alert for Operators highlighting the fact that the cargo on board Flight 6 contained a large quantity of lithium type batteries.[10] The FAA issued a restriction on the carrying of lithium batteries in bulk on passenger flights."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPS_Airlines_Flight_6

Whitney - They are for UM450 transmitters and IFB receivers. We use the UMs for the booms. My guys like the on and off switch. 

Richard - Yeah, as of 4/1/16, there are newer guidelines in shipping lithium batteries. The plastic casing is in place of individual blister bags, which I think are still ok but probably more expensive. The guidelines require the batteries to not be able to touch in air transit. It's just an unfortunate use of space and materials. 

If you haven't tried rechargeable batteries recently they have come a long way. We use Lithium AA in our single battery transmitters but everything else has rechargeable  we are using EBL 9V in Comteks and some Ipowers and Powerex AA in our slates and sync boxes 

• 6 months later...
On 4/17/2016 at 8:08 PM, ProSound said:

We are using EBL 9V in Comteks

Bought a couple packs of these recently.  They work fantastic in Lectrosonics IFB packs.  I'm getting ~3 days per pack out of them vs ~1 with ProCell alkaline batteries.  At $22 for a 4 pack + dual bay charger, they paid for themselves in less than two weeks of set life.

• 2 weeks later...

I get that some people use AA lithium in SMs. I do too, from time to time, but I mostly use rechargeables.

I think I have the same box of Procell 9v in my expendables box that I've had for 5 years.

There is simply no reason to continue to pollute the environment with thousands of disposable batteries. People can go on and on about reliability, but I can assure you that the hundreds of sound crews using iPower rechargeables are every bit as concerned with reliability. 

Please please please switch.

It's nearly impossible getting rechargeable lithiums to us here in New Zealand. I have my eye on the new iPower 9V LiPo (700mAh) batteries but according to our local and only dedicated Pro sound shop in Auckland, Sound Techniques, the cargo planes which are permitted to carry them only go as far as Australia (no we are not an island of theirs :-) then from there the batteries which were put onto commercial planes for the short 2 hour journey to us in New Zealand now need to be shipped in containers  - expensive and time consuming!! Let's hope this new and wasteful packaging that Josh found on his disposal 9V's gets proven to be safe and the IATA gives it their approval for commercial planes.

had some troubles to order lithium Rechargeables batteries in Switzerland but i found the SOSHINE 9v delivered from China, ordered 8 of them without troubles!

maybe it will work for you in New Zealand "AndeSchurr"?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pcs-Lot-Soshine-9V-Rechargeable-Battery-650mAh-9V-Li-ion-Battery-with-9V-Battery-Holder/32347591280.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.nkAeAz