RIP Prince Rogers Nelson

daniel

I worked at Sound 80 Studios when Prince was recording the demo that landed his first Warner Brothers contract.  As an assistant there wasn't a lot to do for his sessions since he played all the instruments one at a time.  I used to own a customized Les Paul guitar and loaned it to him for one of the rhythm tracks.  He played it in the control room and it was amazing watching him!  Even then he was an incredible talent and it was clear he was an artist that was going to be huge. Gone far to soon!  He did the state of Minnesota very proud.

1 hour ago, al mcguire said:

Why we love what we get to do, Bernie.  I loved Sound 80, never got there but loved the Studio  Tom Jung was the guy, and was it 3M Corporate just up the road?  I'll bet you saw the 3M Digital machine before the rest of the world  did.

I love their cellophane tape. Never yellows!

2 hours ago, al mcguire said:

Why we love what we get to do, Bernie.  I loved Sound 80, never got there but loved the Studio  Tom Jung was the guy, and was it 3M Corporate just up the road?  I'll bet you saw the 3M Digital machine before the rest of the world  did.

We used to go pick up the prototype 2 track machine (nick named Herbie) and keep it for a few days.  We did two direct to disk sessions that were backed up on that machine.  The masters got ruined so they were released as direct to digital.  I think we've talked about this story before, Al.

• 2 weeks later...

guy was just on a completely higher level than most musically. His funk stuff..man..

My sound engineering professor in college did some work with him, and he said when Prince was doing the actual recording he'd have my prof sit out on the hall because he didn't want people to hear what he was recording. If there was a technical issue he needed help with Prince would have my prof come in and solve it, but then it was back to sitting in the hall and waiting. 

Sad year losing so many great musical talents. 

I saw Prince open for the Stones at the LA Collusium in *81-82. Got to say it was not a great match. The crowd boo'd him off the stage in a barage of bottles and trash. I was stunned at the hostility and rage. Bill Graham came out and lectured 80,000 people. By the time I worked on the Hal Ashby Stones film, "Let's Spend the Night Together" with Jeff Wexler and Don Coufal, and every top camera operator, 1st and 2nd ac in Hollywood 8 months later, George Thorogood and the Destroyers were the opening act. In retrospect a better match I guess. The Stones had slid into an oldies act by then and weren't going forward. Most likely because that's all their audience wanted. Then and now. To their credit, the Stones wanted Prince.

Still......  Prince. Come on....   The little big man took the ball from Lil Richard, James Brown, Jimi, and many others and ran it far far down the field of Music and American culture. Not that it matters what I and countless others think about him, his music will outlive us all. Insanely great. Ask his peers about him. That is a good measure of a person. RIP Prince.

Big fan.

CrewC

I worked on Purple Rain for a week or two in video post before it came out. The editor who came in to supervise insisted that the star of the movie "had no talent," "was too short," and "couldn't act worth a damn," and he was convinced the movie would bomb. After the first couple of songs, I turned to the guy and said, "I dunno if the movie will do well, but that's a hit song if I ever heard one." The song was "Let's Go Crazy" and wound up going to #1 about six weeks later. This could've been one of those cases where somebody was too close to the film to judge how good or bad it was.

I know of stories where Prince was distant, arrogant, and difficult in editing sessions, but I have no personal experience with that since I never met the guy and don't know the whole story. I do think he was incredibly talented and I think his story is ultimately going to prove to be a tragic one. The tabloids are having a field day at the moment...