'negative' delay

daniel

Probably not possible (or even something many would think useful, especially if they are using digital radio mics :-) but I thought i'd put this out there:

It occurred to me while playing around with my 633 that being able to also dial in 'negative' delay on a boom mic channel (for example) would be easier than dialling the the equivalent (normal) delay on all the radios channels when working with all analogue booms and radio mics for example. Obviously it's not possible to push the sound of the boom through the recorder before it arrives so I mean this in a virtual way.

d r 

But seriously though, if you going to use delay to make a mix sound better and different scenes may involve the boom being at different distances and you're running more then 2 or 3 radios, dialling the delay in across the different RM channels is going to be slower than doing the 'opposite' on just the boom channel. I previously mentioned this may not be such an issue for users of digital RMs but this would apply if you're running a wireless boom with the same digital system as the body packs or something like the audio ltd 1010s on (only) body packs because it has only 2ms latency (and your analogue boom maybe a metre out). Anyway it looks like its just me who thinks this would be a nice feature so I should probably let this go. Thanks for reading :-)

i feel this would be dangerous since it's easy to get confused with the math, which might lead to out of sync audio...

if you really need this often, one option is to dial in +10ms delay on all channels by default, then you can change the boom to 0 (giving you the "-10ms" that you look for)

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

i feel this would be dangerous since it's easy to get confused with the math, which might lead to out of sync audio...

if you really need this often, one option is to dial in +10ms delay on all channels by default, then you can change the boom to 0 (giving you the "-10ms" that you look for)

I like it, good idea. Thanks Chris.

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

Sounds like you want to be able to set delay groups, so you can affect multiple delays at one time, which would be helpful if you changed your delay values often.

Yes, that would be another way of achieving the outcome my initial suggestion of 'negative' delay was aiming for. To my knowledge, group delay is also not possible with the current firmware, which is why Chris's suggestion of starting with 10ms delay on all channels is quite clever and is the easiest way of reducing the time delay on the boom in 1 action, without SD doing something to the firmware. Obviously I still like my idea the best because (all other things being equal with the signal processing Ie. all analogue or all digital radio signals), dialling in 'negative' delay on the boom channel to bring it in 'closer' connotes (as Philip suggested) a time travelling feature :-) and I think there would be less chance of getting in a mess if arming a new RM channel which hadn't been dialled to 10ms delay or been made part of the group.

7 hours ago, Constantin said:

Should it? If one channel is not delayed but the others are, by 10ms say, by how much should the TC be offset?

I was wondering something similar - delay has to be in relation to something and if it's not the TC of the recording what is it? I thought the delay happened during the signal processing, before the mix bus and the recording of tracks. Maybe Harvest is saying to effect the trick of 'negative' delay you'd need to do something with the TC? Which is not unlike adding 10ms to all channels, before reducing the delay on the boom channel.