Pro Tools 12.4HD Video Engine Was Unable to Stop issue?

jgbsound

Hey Guys and Gals!

So I'm editing this feature and I keep getting "Video Engine was unable to stop." Error.  

I'm able to remedy it easily by closing the session and relaunching Pro Tools but it's damned annoying to do.

It seems that it happens when I click into the timeline someplace, but my hand isn't perfectly steady, so I accidentally make a micro selection of a tiny tiny region. 

I went up AVID's support site found a few postings where others have been fuming about this issue not being addressed back even in PT11?  

I didn't want to waste my "1 per month" tech support ticket with AVID on an issue that is known and not yet fixed so I wanted to check if others are having this problem and possibly found a solution for this?

I'm running PT 12.4HD native on a Windows machine.

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

John

If I hit the space bar, it tries to plays my accidental "micro selection", but then the system freezes for about 5 seconds, and then displays the "Video Engine Unable to Stop"  After that, it seems to have lost connection with either the video reference link or the video engine cannot reestablish normal playback.  I think I know this because if I click elsewhere on the timeline, after the first error message, the same delay occurs and "Video Engine unable to stop" comes up again.

I just save my project, close ProTools, relaunch, and everything returns to normal.

John

That's the weird thing.  When the error occurs, the video actually stops, (but claims it's unable to stop???).  If I hit the space bar, nothing happens.  It pauses for about 5-10 seconds then gives that error message.  

Furthermore, because the connection to AVID video engine is messed up, I can't click anywhere else into the timeline or it complains again.  

My solution:  Just save the project and close out ProTools.  It comes right back functioning correctly so I'm sure it's just some weird video issue.  Now that I think about it, I am using an older video card (GTX580) which is not an AVID approved card.  Perhaps its something to do with the GTX driver's compatibility.  UGH.  

I will probably have to upgrade my card to that new Quadro M4000 soon just to rule out this issue.

Even stranger, this just started happening.  I'm guessing something has changed, unbeknownst to me, in my system that's affecting video playback performance.

J

Not sure if this helps but I had the exact same issue you are describing. Fixed it by updating my Blackmagic drivers. I know Avid overhauled the video engine in 11 so it probably broke compatibility with older video drivers. If you need, I can tell you specific software/driver versions when I get back to my studio.

Hi zgoheen,  

I'd be interested in knowing which black magic I/O card you're using?  I've also been toying with updating my system to the new Quadro M4000 so I have at least 3 screens (one for timeline, one for control panels, and one for video playback).  

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I was able to achieve more stable video playback when I upgraded my video card to a Quadro M4000.    It complains less and only once in a while gives me the Unable to stop message.  

Two things seem to really help:
Turn on pre-roll and set a pre-roll time interval for even just a tiny bit.
Changing the setting for video latency to a longer setting seems to help too.

• 1 month later...

Same here on 12.4 and 12.5 win7 64.Doesn’t occur using DNxHD. and from time to time using H264. Workaround for me is to disable loop playback. If an error occur, stop playback by pressing Stop button in PT transport bar, but not the space bar. It will help not to reload session again.