Zaxnet whine VS Comtek BST-75-216

THSnodgrass

In all of the threads that talk about the troubles of Zaxnet whine getting into comteks in a bag situation, I don't think I've ever heard from the guys/gals out there that use the BST-75-216 in their bag.

Is there anyone out there who uses a BST-75-216 in their bag along with an IFB100/200 and can attest to whether or not the good ole Zaxnet whine gets into your comtek signal?

I do have a friend that uses the BST-75-216 alongside a nomad in the bag and doesn't have the zax whine issues but the built in Zaxnet tx in the Nomad is only 50 mW  (vs 75mW in the IFB200) so that still leaves me wondering. I'm thinking the all metal enclosure that the BST series has would definitely help with RF protection.

I have on several occasions used the bst75 with my nomad running zaxnet and have not had any issues.  I don't do it often though, I really only use the 75 for earwigs.  I have powered them from the same batteries at times.

I have never run both the ifb200 and the bst 75 in a bag, but I have had both of them on the same antenna mast without issue.  A little more distance is possible here than in a bag though.

One advantage of using the bst 75 instead of the small TX is a balanced input which helps reduce interference.  

7 hours ago, danelonsdale said:

I have an IFB200 and bst 75 in the bag and it is whine-free. The two units are very close to each other and both sound great. Cannot say the same about the m-216. 

That's what I was hoping to hear! It's a little bulkier and needs external DC.. But the price difference between the m-216 is minimal. This may be a good option for those struggling with the zax whine in the bag. 

8 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

A little physical separation and the proper Comtek cable would make the 216 work fine with zaxnet.

I've tried many variations on physical separation all with the proper comtek cable and have still had issues. I can lower the output from 7 to 4 on my IFB200 and get rid of the whine but I then start having issues with my scratch audio send via zaxnet...sometimes even when I'm ridiculously close to the camera. The only physical separation I've found that works with the IFB200 at full blast is clipping the m-216 on the back of my belt towards the left of my back with the IFB200 in the far right of my bag.. and even that would have the whine sneak in from time to time(and it's kind of cumbersome). Rado, I'm guessing your using the bult in Zaxnet in your nomad?? The 50mW output vs the 75mW of the IFB200 could be what is making it harder for me.

I have a bst75 and bst75-216 that I use alongside an IFB100 on my cart. Whine does get into the comteks, you just have to move the Zaxcom antenna around till it stops. Same issue out of the bag when used alongside the 216 bag transmitter.

40 minutes ago, JonG said:

I have a bst75 and bst75-216 that I use alongside an IFB100 on my cart. Whine does get into the comteks, you just have to move the Zaxcom antenna around till it stops. Same issue out of the bag when used alongside the 216 bag transmitter.

No tweaking of the zax antenna seems to cure the issue in my bag.. Not to mention that the antenna won't stay exactly where you put it when your running around with your bag. JonG.. Are your ifb100 and comtek's close to each other on the cart? Remote antennas or just the standard ducky's? 

The base stations and IFB100 are fairly close to each other on the cart, though the base stations do have external antennae (Mini Mite and Phase Right) that are remoted away, the cabling does come a little close within the cart.

In the bag, I have them on opposite sides of the bag, but it is still close enough to occasionally get Zax-bleed into the comteks.

On 5/19/2016 at 6:11 PM, DoshJuncan said:

Make sure that you have clip on ferrite cores on your cables feeding your Comteks. I have an M-216 in the bag and a BST-75 running alongside a 500mw L-Com antenna/amp on my cart. Both with Nomads and no issues.

Dosh... can you post a link of the clip on ferrite cores you're using?? Thanks in advance!

PS... I grew up in Charlotte...Go Panthers! (and Hornets!)