NEW: iPower AA batteries. Li-poly rechargeable.

Derek H

23 minutes ago, Derek H said:

If they don't provide longer run times than the current best NIMH offerings then yes why bother but no one has actually field tested them yet to know for sure. 

Hello, I just looked back at the original post. The description states a "mwa" rating. What the heck is that? It also has a mah rating which isn't even 10% better than what we have now.

14 hours ago,  Freeheel said: 

If they don't cost too much more and have a similar runtime as a NiMh battery, but weigh ½ as much- I'd go for them.

Hello, let's say they weigh half as much, as a AA Nimh, then that is 1/2 -ounce each. If your mixer takes 6 batteries, that's only a 3 ounce savings. If your transmitter takes 2 batteries, that's only 1 ounce difference. How important can that be? 

It is important 'cause I'm mainly a doc guy.   On a daily basis, I'm carrying around about 1.5 kg  (3.3lb) of NiMh AA batteries.  I'm always at my airline bag weight limit for travelling.  If I can take weight out and not lose performance and not have to pay too much more- I'll do it!  And as for transmitters- I'm sure you've felt the difference between a transmitter pack with 2 NiMh and 2 Lithium non-rechargeables.  It's not an insignificant difference...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

44 minutes ago, Freeheel said:

It is important 'cause I'm mainly a doc guy.   On a daily basis, I'm carrying around about 1.5 kg  (3.3lb) of NiMh AA batteries.  I'm always at my airline bag weight limit for travelling.  If I can take weight out and not lose performance and not have to pay too much more- I'll do it!  And as for transmitters- I'm sure you've felt the difference between a transmitter pack with 2 NiMh and 2 Lithium non-rechargeables.  It's not an insignificant difference...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Brent, I have to know. What the heck are using about 48 AA'S for?  Also, does anyone want to guess what that description means on the original post? The "mwa" rating?

Forensic Daily AA battery Accounting as follows...

5 X (2 battery) wireless tx  = 10 X approx 3 changes for 12 hrs + some overtime if necessary  = 30 

2 lockits - 4 daily + 4 full change if day goes long = 8

Backup SD 552  4 batteries inside = 4

Ambient Lockit slate 4 daily  + 4 backup  = 8

Headlamp 2 AA's 

= 52 AA's

I often usually take a handful of lithium single use as my backup stash, since most days are not going to need all those the backup batteries- So a realer number is 40 NiMh AA's and a 12 pack of Lithium AA single use. 

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

I find it's not uncommon to use more than 50 rechargeable batteries during a day.

6 (or more) lav body packs, each with 2AAs (battery swap at lunch) is 24.  Two camera receivers times 4 AAs (battery swap at lunch) is 16, then there are 5 ERXs (up to 10 AAs), from 8 to 30 Comteks (9v.), a time code slate (6 AAs), NP1s, and on and on, and on.  

Yes, ounces add up.

Hello, I just don't know if it's worth the risk. And of course we still don't know if they're going to give false High battery level indications.

2 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

I find it's not uncommon to use more than 50 rechargeable batteries during a day.

6 (or more) lav body packs, each with 2AAs (battery swap at lunch) is 24.  Two camera receivers times 4 AAs (battery swap at lunch) is 16, then there are 5 ERXs (up to 10 AAs), from 8 to 30 Comteks (9v.), a time code slate (6 AAs), NP1s, and on and on, and on.  

Yes, ounces add up.

50 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

Yes, ounces add up.

Hello again,  On the receivers on camera, that's where I would use lipo, and no battery swap at lunch. And the erx's, I think I would still power them off the same battery for the receiver. And no changing for lunch on that either. But I do see what your saying. .

50 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

Yes, ounces add up.

1 hour ago, Boomboom said:

it's more about ensuring an accurate TC than about changing batteries

Hello, that was a short response, so I'm not sure maybe exactly what you meant, but, changing batteries makes for better timecode how?

18 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Yes, ounces add up.

Sorry for the short answer: I meant lots of new "TC boxes" will easily run for a full day without having to change batteries: re-doing your TC on the units after lunch just ensures that this half frame you might have got during the morning is corrected for the afternoon.

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Boomboom said:

it's more about ensuring an accurate TC than about changing batteries

Hello, that was a short response, so I'm not sure maybe exactly what you meant, but, changing batteries makes for better timecode how?

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM, John Blankenship said:

Yes, ounces add up.

Hello Boom, I wasn't blaming you for a short answer, I just didn't have enough data. Well, my response is, we, the users of the brand that I use, Don't have any drift. I can put the brand here, but, I will probably be burned in effigy for doing so. Please go check out my Denecke slate post in equipment that I put up a few minutes ago, and let me know what you think. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

It's not possible to eliminate drift of less than 1 frame, no matter how often you jam. Only with genlock can this be eliminated

Constantin, I see what your saying. You were taking my statement as ultra-literal. Yes, when I turn on my flashlight, there is a delay for that light to get across my living room. But what we are talking about is a delay that is detectable. In other words, my Zaxcom erx being fed timecode from IFB 200, 100, or Nomad for instance. 

Since the time code is updated via wireless, if you do the math, the "drift", is about. .02 frames of drift in a 10 minute take. 12 hours later, with a 10 minute take, the "drift" is still .02 frames for a 10 minute take. 

With that being said, I've never seen anyone on here talk about what we're "drifting" against. If your mixer loses 3 frames in 12 hours in a linear fashion, and your camera loses 3 frames in 12 hours in a linear fashion, they are perfectly in sync, with each other. 

I have to say "hmmm" whenever I see someone say something like "I synced up my mixer and my ___  sync device, and 2 days later they were only 1/10  of a frame off". Which device was "off"?

If the manufacturer of your mixer says 2ppm in 12 hours of drift and the manufacturer of your ______ sync device says .3ppm, and they are only 1/10 of a frame off 2 days later, then something is not performing properly, one of them is obviously drifting much different than spec.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Whit Norris said:

The limit of 4 batteries would mean you could not use them in a TC slate.

Whit

Whit, That is exactly what I was thinking. I am going on a wild guess here, but, I wonder if the voltage is slightly too high for the cell, therefore, if you had many cells in one device the acceptable range of voltage for that device could be exceeded. The only other guess is that more than 4 stacked all together may result in too much heat for the cells at the center of that mass. I am a bit doubtful that they are even lipo, but instead just li-ion. Then there is that odd capacity rating that was listed. Maybe just a misprint, but still a nomenclature I have never heard before. And lipo's are a bit dangerous if not handled properly.

One more guess here about why no more than 4 cells at one time. Maybe they are too big in diameter or length, or both. 

4 original Eneloop HR-3UTGA NiMH = 104 grams

4 Powerex NiMH = 120 grams

4 Imedion NiMH = 114 grams

4 Eneloop HR-3UWXA NiMH = 120 grams

4 Eneloop Pro BK-3HCCA NiMH = 120 grams

4 iPowerUS IPAA-2600 Li-Polymer = 70 grams

31a7528d91d4ec693c61418e68583c98.jpg

They feel noticeably lighter, like lithium metal batteries do.

I don't own Lectrosonics anymore. I bought these specifically for my Zaxcom TRX900LA.

I'm working full time as a web developer so I don't know how much testing I'll be able to do with these. I'm also hoping to use them with Canon and Yongnuo speedlites. The Yongnuo specifically say not to use Li-ion batteries, but I wonder if they are referring to the higher voltage versions.

The charger manual seems to interchange the terms Li-ion and Li-Polymer.

8898d6456cabc936646a9b1bc6def01f.jpg

39 minutes ago, Mark O'Russa said:

4 original Eneloop HR-3UTGA NiMH = 104 grams

4 Powerex NiMH = 120 grams

4 Imedion NiMH = 114 grams

4 Eneloop HR-3UWXA NiMH = 120 grams

4 Eneloop Pro BK-3HCCA NiMH = 120 grams

4 iPowerUS IPAA-2600 Li-Polymer = 70 grams

31a7528d91d4ec693c61418e68583c98.jpg

They feel noticeably lighter, like lithium metal batteries do.

I don't own Lectrosonics anymore. I bought these specifically for my Zaxcom TRX900LA.

I'm working full time as a web developer so I don't know how much testing I'll be able to do with these. I'm also hoping to use them with Canon and Yongnuo speedlites. The Yongnuo specifically say not to use Li-ion batteries, but I wonder if they are referring to the higher voltage versions.

The charger manual seems to interchange the terms Li-ion and Li-Polymer.

8898d6456cabc936646a9b1bc6def01f.jpg

Mark, I just don't know. Don't you have something cheap to try them in first? Like a flashlight? I want someone to figure out why you can't use more than 4 of them. Just odd. I have used 13 sub c cells (nimh) together before, with no problems.

I'm more adventuresome than some. I just tried them in a bunch of products with varying results.

My Zaxcom TRX900LA, ERX2TCD, and ERX2 power up just fine. My TRX 742 does not power up unless I have one other type of battery mixed in. That's disappointing.

The Yongnuo YN600EX-RT, Canon 430EX II, and an old Sunpak speedlite will not power on without mixing another battery in. The Yongnuo YN-E3-RT does power up without issue.

I'm not sure what's different about these batteries and it's disappointing that they don't seem to work in some products. For my purposes of using them in my Zaxcom tx they seem to work. A day on the job will be a better test.

Mark

9 hours ago, Mark O'Russa said:

I'm more adventuresome than some. I just tried them in a bunch of products with varying results.

My Zaxcom TRX900LA, ERX2TCD, and ERX2 power up just fine. My TRX 742 does not power up unless I have one other type of battery mixed in. That's disappointing.

The Yongnuo YN600EX-RT, Canon 430EX II, and an old Sunpak speedlite will not power on without mixing another battery in. The Yongnuo YN-E3-RT does power up without issue.

I'm not sure what's different about these batteries and it's disappointing that they don't seem to work in some products. For my purposes of using them in my Zaxcom tx they seem to work. A day on the job will be a better test.

Mark

Mark, What is the voltage difference in the set that didn't work in the Sunpak versus the set that did? I liked the old Sunpak, they were the poor man's Metz. 

With no load four batteries measure 6.11 VDC. I can't measure them in the flash units because the battery doors complete the connection.

Perhaps these flash units need a quick surge of power to turn in that these batteries can't supply? Having a regulated voltage means that the current is likely limited too.

Mark