NEW: iPower AA batteries. Li-poly rechargeable.

Derek H

2 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

To calculate the run time we are comparing the same devices at the same draw right?

Same device (SMV) : yes.

Different battery designs = same draw no.

Read Larry's post above. the SMV design allows it to run at full power, even when the AA has only 0.9V left, but in order to compensate for the low voltage, the transmitter draws "upwards of 0.6 Amps" at that voltage. Not sure what the current draw is at a full 1.5V (Larry?). And because this lithium AA stays at a constant 1.5V until it dies.... you get it.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Same device (SMV) : yes.

Different battery designs = same draw no.

Read Larry's post above. the SMV design allows it to run at full power, even when the AA has only 0.9V left, but in order to compensate for the low voltage, the transmitter draws "upwards of 0.6 Amps" at that voltage. Not sure what the current draw is at a full 1.5V (Larry?). And because this lithium AA stays at a constant 1.5V until it dies.... you get it.

So it is not the battery but the transmitter design.

And in this scenario NIMH will have a better run time considering the higher mAh and the way lectrosonics draws less when voltage is lower.

You can also decrease your RF power to extend your run time. Still nothing to do with the battery.

24 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

And in this scenario NIMH will have a better run time considering the higher mAh and the way lectrosonics draws less when voltage is lower.

You can also decrease your RF power to extend your run time. Still nothing to do with the battery.

You have that backwards. The transmitter draws more current at a lower voltage. And for real runtimes, there was no significant difference in the tests I did.

Feel free to believe me or not, or run your own tests. I'm done with this topic. I just wanted to share my findings for anyone who cares. Not here to "win" an argument. Cheers !

57 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

The way it "draws less when voltage is lower", less what? 

47 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

You have that backwards. The transmitter draws more current at a lower voltage. And for real runtimes, there was no significant difference in the tests I did.

Feel free to believe me or not, or run your own tests. I'm done with this topic. I just wanted to share my findings for anyone who cares. Not here to "win" an argument. Cheers !

I didn't know there was an argument. That shows how little I know. 

I'll add one more last thing: I do absolutely NOT recommend these for use in a Lectro Tx.

I rolled on the last test and just spot checked it. There were loud pops intermittently towards the end of the file. Pop, then dead silence. Then it would come back on again. Then POP again. On and off a few times, so that would mean usable run-time is likely about 4h. After that it would be scary. I'm guessing this has to do with what Larry mentioned (the switching power supplies trying to figure out what to do with each other once the voltage starts dropping).

So meh - sticking to my eneloops.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I'll add one more last thing: I do absolutely NOT recommend these for use in a Lectro Tx.

I rolled on the last test and just spot checked it. There were loud pops intermittently towards the end of the file. Pop, then dead silence. Then it would come back on again. Then POP again. On and off a few times, so that would mean usable run-time is likely about 4h. After that it would be scary. I'm guessing this has to do with what Larry mentioned (the switching power supplies trying to figure out what to do with each other once the voltage starts dropping).

So meh - sticking to my eneloops.

I believe what your referring to is the cutoff protection in the cell itself.  This can be tested.