New Ikea Storhogen charger test

RadoStefanov

Testing the new Ikea 12 battery charger. On paper looks good: Individual charging, dV/dT or 0dV/dT, safety by timer and separate temperature sensor, trickle charging, damaged and non rechargble battery detection and lcd display It takes 12HR to charge a 2450mAh battery which is too much for some but perfect for my use. So far checking the charger It does not run as hot as other chargers which is great for the batteries. I am also testing the new made in japan IKEA Ladda 2450mAh batteries that seam like an eneloop pro rebrands. The batteries are $6.99 for 4. Will report later.

13260055_10209515193736624_6546270159048

13230155_10209515193656622_3728718808131

13307431_10209515193696623_4653072786672

13263676_10209515216777200_2455415973431

I picked up a 4-pack a little while ago and have done some tests. Not 100% sure it's eneloop re-brand.

I got 7h 50min in SMQV vs 8h 20min with eneloop Pro. Still pretty good considering the cost! And enough to get you to lunch.

I have used them on a few shoot days already. 

I figure even if they don't last more than 100 re-charge cycles, it's still a good value.

It states on the batteries that they recommend charging at 250mA, but I charge mine in the Maha Powerex at 500mA. After running them "until the wheels came off" in the SMQV, the Maha reported that one charged back to about 2550, the other to about 2650mAh.

So far, so good. Let's see what happens in the long run....

18 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I picked up a 4-pack a little while ago and have done some tests. Not 100% sure it's eneloop re-brand.

I got 7h 50min in SMQV vs 8h 20min with eneloop Pro. Still pretty good considering the cost! And enough to get you to lunch.

I have used them on a few shoot days already. 

I figure even if they don't last more than 100 re-charge cycles, it's still a good value.

It states on the batteries that they recommend charging at 250mA, but I charge mine in the Maha Powerex at 500mA. After running them "until the wheels came off" in the SMQV, the Maha reported that one charged back to about 2550, the other to about 2650mAh.

So far, so good. Let's see what happens in the long run....

right now the Ikea outperformes my year and a half old Panasonic/eneloop pros.

1 hour ago, Rasmus Wedin said:

Have you tried charging other batteries in the IKEA-charger?

Yes. Panasonic Pro and old eneloops 1900mAh. A good NIMH charger does not care what battery you put in it. The ikea charger has -dV/dT and 0dV/dT voltage sensors. It also have separate safety timer and temperature sensor. Similar to MAHA charger. Maha chargers are great but the rapid charge kills the batteries faster. For my workflow charging bunch of batteries overnight makes more sense considering prolonging their life.

It looks like a book... is it designed so that you can trickle charge indefinitely with the door closed on a bookshelf and have batteries ready when you need them?

Also, Rado, have you tried the Titanium 16-bay charger? It uses a pretty low charge current. I think 400mA.

15 hours ago, Derek H said:

It looks like a book... is it designed so that you can trickle charge indefinitely with the door closed on a bookshelf and have batteries ready when you need them?

Also, Rado, have you theirs the titanium 16-bay charger? It uses a pretty low charge current. I think 400mA.

I have not.

13 hours ago, dfisk said:

Do they make you assemble the charger? 

I wish. I love assembling ikea. Everything is so easy...

• 9 months later...
On 2016-05-29 at 8:44 PM, RadoStefanov said:

Yes. Panasonic Pro and old eneloops 1900mAh. A good NIMH charger does not care what battery you put in it. The ikea charger has -dV/dT and 0dV/dT voltage sensors. It also have separate safety timer and temperature sensor. Similar to MAHA charger. Maha chargers are great but the rapid charge kills the batteries faster. For my workflow charging bunch of batteries overnight makes more sense considering prolonging their life.

Good to know :).

Could there be any harm done charging batteries of higher capacity, say Pro Eneloops 2500 or Powerex 2700? The manual says to use batteries with "Max 2450 Mah", that's the cause of my hesitation.

I emailed Ikea for a answer to this too, waiting for reply still.....

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:57 AM, Rasmus Wedin said:

Good to know :).

Could there be any harm done charging batteries of higher capacity, say Pro Eneloops 2500 or Powerex 2700? The manual says to use batteries with "Max 2450 Mah", that's the cause of my hesitation.

I emailed Ikea for a answer to this too, waiting for reply still.....

The Ikea 2450 are I believe very similar to Panasonic Pro. They hold just a little less charge. As far as the powered 2700 being charged I don't see why not.

I just stumbled over this site the other day when researching something else (danger of the internet):

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Ikea Storhogen 603.306.50 UK.html

seems to be a guy quite obsessed with chargers, according to him the Ikea one is kinda ok, but has trouble detecting when the batteries are full due to the low charging current.

I have two of the Ikea chargers.  The one issue I have is some of my older Eneloop Pro batteries won't charge in them.  I can take them off of my Titanium charger (showing full charge) and put them on the Ikea charger and I get the x over the top of the battery icon.  I can also put a depleted Eneloop Pro in it and it shows empty with the x over it and the battery won't charge.  So its a little fussy that way.  I have lots of the Ikea 2450 batteries and of course it works well with those.  Some of my pros have damaged skins so I wonder if that's the issue.

Here's a general NIMH battery question:  Is it ok to leave the batteries in the chargers in between shoots?  Say for a week or longer?  Or is always best to charge the night before?

2 hours ago, berniebeaudry said:

I have two of the Ikea chargers.  The one issue I have is some of my older Eneloop Pro batteries won't charge in them.  [...]  So its a little fussy that way.  I have lots of the Ikea 2450 batteries and of course it works well with those.  Some of my pros have damaged skins so I wonder if that's the issue.

in the review above the guy also mentions:

It is also fairly critical with the batteries, i.e. it will not charge old batteries.

so that could be the issue. Interesting that your findings comfirm that the reviewers methodology seems to be quite accurate.

2 hours ago, berniebeaudry said:

Here's a general NIMH battery question:  Is it ok to leave the batteries in the chargers in between shoots?  Say for a week or longer?  Or is always best to charge the night before?

Kinda depends on both, your charger and your batteries:

Older NiMH style batteries loose charge pretty fast, so even a week after the charging they will have lost quite a bit of the max charge. So with those batteries you'd need either to charge the night before or use a charger with trickle charge. Proper trickle charge will not really harm the battery, but you'll need a quality charger, the bad ones might overcharge the battery. another option is to build your own trickle charger where you use a timer to do some short bursts of charging a few times a day.

Newer ready-to-use NiMH batteries (envelop are a high quality variant of those) loose charge rather slow, so unless you need the last percent of runtime you could just store them off the charger for a few weeks without significant loss of capacity.

chris