788T experts...

RPSharman

Ok...So the 788T is on my list for the next job where the extra hardware of the Boom Recorder might be an inconvenience.

It looks to me like you cannot monitor monitor all analog inputs on the 744T at once.  You can monitor the LR "mix" and 6 tracks and switch to monitor other tracks on the right hand set of LEDs.  Am I right?

In general, I would like to monitor/record the mix track on my 744T and record via AES to track 1 on the 788T.  Then I'd want to monitor and record up to the 8 individual prefade iso tracks (tracks 2-9) on the 788T.  It seems that this cannot be accomplished with the monitoring LEDs.  I would not need to monitor the mix track to the 788T, as it would be a digital feed from the 744T, so it would make sense to be able to monitor all 8 analog inputs...ESPECIALLY if I am worrying about 8 mics at once!  Who has time to switch back and forth to monitor those other 2 mics?

Am I wrong in the reading of the manual?  Can this be done?

Robert

The "experts" who actually "know" the answer to the OP's question are at Sound Devices.

They have an top notch Web site, as well as an excellent users' forum. They also answer emails, and the telephone.

Many of us can get our hands on a unit at one of Sound Devices' local dealers...

but the best place to discuss any items that might lead to firmware developments is directly with the experts at Sound Devices

I am sorry if you, or anyone, finds that suggestion negative.

there are a lot of "incorrect facts" going around on the internet.*

the question was a specific request for a factual answer, so I suggested contacting the best source for correct information, as well as discussion of options.  The discussion with the folks at Sound Devices might even lead to them making adjustments to the capabilities, or at least considering options!

* as an example, just a few moments ago, over on RAMPS one of the Bob Moron's is giving advice on cleaning carbon fibre boom poles (I don't know if either one of them even owns one!).  Actually, there are several "formulas" for the material boom poles are made of, so wouldn't the best place to get accurate information be the maker of the pole in question?? also, the dealers we patronize have rental departments who probably have considered this question, and have the experience to back up the suggestions they would offer if the were called, or emailed.  and, in fact, it would possibly be helpful to visit the manufacturers web sites and check to see if there are any FAQ's for cleaning and maintaining their products???  wouldn't their recommendations be the best to follow?? or would you rather defer to one or both of the Mr. Moron's ??

there are a lot of "incorrect facts" going around on the internet.

the question was a specific request for a factual answer, so I suggested contacting the best source for correct information, as well as discussion of options.  The discussion with the folks at Sound Devices might even lead to them making adjustments to the capabilities, or at least considering options!

Contacting any manufacturer for info is a good idea but while they might know the "book" stuff they really don't have the hands on field experience of "trial by fire". That's where this forum and others like it gives people the chance to get real world answers. Feedback from users can set up a chain of events that can lead to product revisions/updates but it is that feedback from the end users that they get from these forums that gets the ball rolling.

Eric

In general, I would like to monitor/record the mix track on my 744T and record via AES to track 1 on the 788T.  Then I'd want to monitor and record up to the 8 individual prefade iso tracks (tracks 2-9) on the 788T.  It seems that this cannot be accomplished with the monitoring LEDs.

Robert

apart from monitoring I see another prob in your setup: as far as I understand the 788T you got 8 inputs only whether they are digital or analog. You can send inputs 1-8 to tracks 9-12 but you can`t access them from the outside.

That`s info from the SD forum btw. ;-)

Matthias

Good idea, Robert.  However, Matthias is right about the input limitation.  You can't use the AES input as a "back door" to the input architecture.  The routing to tracks is built into the Input Settings section of the operating system, so you can only route inputs 1-8 to any/all of the 12 tracks.

This was one of the first to go on my wish-list of software achievable improvements (which I WILL express to Sound Devices directly!):

Allow the AES inputs to be routed to tracks separately from the Analog inputs.  It could open the door to potentially 16 inputs to the recorder.  I don't think anyone would mind that, even if not all 16 could be routed to individual tracks.

Brian

there are a lot of "incorrect facts" going around on the internet.*

* as an example, just a few moments ago, over on RAMPS one of the Bob Moron's is giving advice on cleaning carbon fibre boom poles (I don't know if either one of them even owns one!).  Actually, there are several "formulas" for the material boom poles are made of, so wouldn't the best place to get accurate information be the maker of the pole in question?? also, the dealers we patronize have rental departments who probably have considered this question, and have the experience to back up the suggestions they would offer if the were called, or emailed.  and, in fact, it would possibly be helpful to visit the manufacturers web sites and check to see if there are any FAQ's for cleaning and maintaining their products???  wouldn't their recommendations be the best to follow?? or would you rather defer to one or both of the Mr. Moron's ??

Oh, come on, Mike.  To compare the aforementioned Mr. M (either one) with Scott is a gross injustice. 

One of the reasons many of us hang out here is to share and learn -- about people, the industry, and, yes, even equipment.  Toward that end, you've given equipment advice -- I have -- most of us here have. 

Your basic point is a good one to remember -- in a quest for knowledge, don't neglect going to the source -- but, however well-intended, your original post did come across as a bit of a slight.

JB

Hi Robert,

Just to confirm a few points for you:

1) As others have mentioned, the 788T currently only allows 8 simultaneous inputs - they can be any combination of analog or digital.

2) Inputs 1-8 can easily be routed directly to tracks L-F so this means your options are 1 AES mix track plus 7 isos OR 8 x isos all monitored without having to switch meters back and forth.

Paul

Sound Devices

Thanks, Paul and others.  I can see how I can monitor the mono mix and 7 other inputs.  I think that'll be just fine for more than 99% of all applications.  After I switch to this machine, I can always dust off the FF800 and use Boom Recorder for jobs that require serious monitoring of lots of iso tracks (hopefully NEVER).

Robert

" To compare the aforementioned Mr. M (either one) with Scott is a gross injustice.   "

I was not comparing Mr. Moron, either of them, to anyone, just giving a very current example of the questionable responses that can be, and are, posted to technical (and other) issues.

nothing more, nothing less, although since you brought it up, I do recall even that expert posting some less than accurate responses, and it is also quite common for folks to post their opinions as facts.

and, after several days, where did the correct information actually come from??

I rest my case!