Recording musical performance on deck of a schooner under sail...

Hideout

Hello folks,

I am about to head onto the open seas to record several live accoustic performances of traditional songs on the deck of a schooner under sail.

Wind will be a factor for sure. Instruments will be captured using on pickups but the vocals are to be captured live, yet the mics must remain hidden from view. I am planning to use COS 11s everywhere and I have a day of testing in which I can rent other mics and do a test for wind resistance. I will pick up extra wind protection from Trew in the coming days. I have a month prior to sailing, any tips would be appreciated. 

Brian Power, CAS

Hideout Studios

Overcovers on the lavs under clothing works well with moderate wind conditions.  Be aware that if the clothing they're wearing rustles, flaps, or makes other noise in the wind, the lavs will pick it up. 

Carry plenty of Topstick to fasten loose clothing down where needed.  Make sure wind can't be scooped in by an open shirt front, such as between buttons.

Make it clear you need some prep time under actual conditions on the day of shooting as conditions may have changed from test days. 

A big advantage is that singing is much louder than dialog so that'll help.  Find out, though, if there are to be any spoken bits.  

Enjoy -- once issues are tamed it sounds like it'll be a neat gig!

A heavy wind can easily overwhelm even a well protected lav, and if you add a lot more layers of protection the sound will become muffled.  I would get very close with the wardrobe folks and find out exactly what the performers will wear so you can work out positions and try to batten down any parts of the clothing that will flap around in the wind, as well as eliminate noisy synthetic fabrics..  What will happen if the day turns cooler and the performers want to put on more layers?  What it it gets warmer?  Are the performers moving around?  Are they singing a cappella, to live accompaniment or to playback?  Can you get some help in trying to quiet down the boat--all the ropes, sails etc during takes?  In any case I'd be ready with a couple of boom mics in wind-ready rigs/stands and record those as well--they will keep working under far windier conditions than the lavs will, and depending on the shots needed will sound better too.  If they need ultra wide shots you might consider recording on your booms (or whatever) with the cameras in close, then picking a take and switching to having them sing to playback when they go wide....

I have had unbelievable results using k-tek lav socks (?) on cos-11s. Just insert mic, put in moleskin sandwich, and apply as notmal. I've had perfectly clear dialogue in Santa Ana winds with zero wind noise. 

image.jpeg

In high wind situations I use the big fur balls on lavs.  They are a little unsightly when fully exposed, but they work in heavy winds, like on a boat deck, or recording bungee jumpers.  If they are wearing coats I find it easy to use the fur balls half exposed.  They don't look like a mic that way, and even though you see them, they look like part of the clothing... sometimes.  The K-tek fleece that Jon pointed to have worked well for me too.  I haven't found overcovers to work that well when the wind really picks up, but maybe that's just me.

Don't forget to have a boom or stereo mic open (with a full zeplin) so you can add an appropriate amount of the environment to the performance, I find without the ambient sounds, especially unique ambience like on a boat deck, the performances end up feeling like music videos and don't feel "live".