Remote Audio MEON Hi-Q batteries

Shastapete

7 hours ago, justanross said:

This might be a silly question, but would my audioroot system be able to read the data on these the same way it does with current audio root batteries?

Yes. It will read any smbus battery.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:09 AM, soundtrane said:

Rado, do you know of any other SMBus reader other than the RRC? 

Vin,

I am sure you can make one. (:

6 hours ago, justanross said:

Well that is fantastic! The remote audio ones are half the price of the Audioroots.

The remote audio batteries price is a few $ cheaper then buying them from IE. Great decision on the RE part to keep the price down.

7 hours ago, Ryan Coomer said:

Here's a pic of a HI-Q battery plugged into a BGDU. All the data reads the same.

bgdu_hiq.jpg

Ryan,

Put a little load otherwise it will always show 100H - hours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎27 at 10:24 AM, Shastapete said:

SMBus protocol is publicly published and uses the I2C serial protocol http://smbus.org/specs/smbus110.pdf so you could probably build one on your own in an afternoon with an Arduino

Ok, so it's not just "find the right pinout and solder it yourself"... ? Or is the circuitry from that SMBus dispaly already including the protocol?  I wouldn't like adding an Arduino box that'd take too much space in the bag.

OTOH, RAudio specifies Hi-Qs are lighter than NP1 batts but there's no info about the actual weight of these batteries..? Can't find a comparison chart anywhere...

On 8/14/2016 at 11:55 AM, Boomboom said:

Ok, so it's not just "find the right pinout and solder it yourself"... ? Or is the circuitry from that SMBus dispaly already including the protocol?  I wouldn't like adding an Arduino box that'd take too much space in the bag.

SMBus I2C is just serial communication. You'd need something to decipher it and something to display the decoded information. Arduino is an application and compiler that runs code on common microprocessors. You could use a $3 ATtiny85 chip that's a centimeter square driving some status LEDs, so "size" is as big as you make it. 

• 2 years later...

I'm kinda curious as to why the Audioroot version of the 98w/hr smart batteries are $222 and the Remote Audio version of the 98w/hr are $159? Also does the dual charger from Remote Audio actually charge both batteries simultaneously at the same rate it would charge 1, or does it cascade them like the IDX JL2?

4 hours ago, jondom22 said:

I'm kinda curious as to why the Audioroot version of the 98w/hr smart batteries are $222 and the Remote Audio version of the 98w/hr are $159? Also does the dual charger from Remote Audio actually charge both batteries simultaneously at the same rate it would charge 1, or does it cascade them like the IDX JL2?

Inspired energy is the original manufacturer.

Batteries should be "regardless of the label" $159

Charger charges both batteries because it is 2018.

Last time I checked Remote Audio labeled Inspire Energy chargers are very expansive compared to the OM.

5 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

Audioroot is a French company, so there may be import duties both directions adding to the price.

Unless they've changed since I originally bought, the inspired energy chargers have really loud fans in them.  The Audioroot charger is pricier but makes no noise.

Only the inspire Energy calibrating chargers have the fans. Regular chargers don't. 

Audio root is just a charger. No need for cooling. 

• 2 weeks later...

I might be overthinking things, but I recall reading that mixing battery and charger brands might not be a good idea, so I'm checking to see if it's OK to use the Audioroot ELC-SMB portable charger with the MEON Hi-Q batteries.  

Further, does anyone know if the ELC-SMB portable charger calibrates? It's SMBus 1.1 compliant, but I was unable to determine wether or not that includes calibration. 

Please forgive the naive questions: I'm uninitiated to this way of powering. 

6 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I might be overthinking things, but I recall reading that mixing battery and charger brands might not be a good idea, so I'm checking to see if it's OK to use the Audioroot ELC-SMB portable charger with the MEON Hi-Q batteries.

I use the Audioroot dual charger with my RA batteries without issue.

11 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Further, does anyone know if the ELC-SMB portable charger calibrates? It's SMBus 1.1 compliant, but I was unable to determine wether or not that includes calibration. 

You can use any charger.  Remote audio is inspire energy. Ausioroot I bet is iinspire energy inside.  

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

The Audio Root and Remote Audio HiQ chargers and batteries are interchangeable.

Thanks for the responses, all! 

Glen, might you happen to know if the ELC-SMB charger calibrates? I'm wondering if I might get away with having only smaller portable charger. But if not, and if calibration is important, then I'll pick up a desktop version. 

6 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Thanks for the responses, all! 

Glen, might you happen to know if the ELC-SMB charger calibrates? I'm wondering if I might get away with having only smaller portable charger. But if not, and if calibration is important, then I'll pick up a desktop version. 

I don’t know if calibration is a big deal or not. 

As maybe the first inspire energy user I got a bunch of batteries that are over their life. Calibrating did not fix any of them. They still work and I use them but the only downside is they don’t rip off “ meaning they keep charging forever “. 

Check the OEM prices on the charger.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:02 PM, RadoStefanov said:

Only the inspire Energy calibrating chargers have the fans. Regular chargers don't. 

Audio root is just a charger. No need for cooling. 

the 4 bay audioroot charger has a fan. it is possible to turn the fan off when using on set, at a reduced rate of charge

2 hours ago, ao said:

the 4 bay audioroot charger has a fan. it is possible to turn the fan off when using on set, at a reduced rate of charge

2 hours ago, ao said:

Does the fan kick in at all?

You can reduce the fan speed inline or unplug the fan start charging and measure the temperature.