PinkNoise 633 add-on box

Philip Perkins

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

Easier to mix on for fat fingers?   Were you thinking they should have only trims?

It does seem like having faders on this box might make gain-staging on the 633 a little tricky, as you would still be going through those faders on ch. 4-6 as well. 

I'd love to hear sound quality reports from anyone who has used this box though! 

16 hours ago, jozzafunk said:

Filmteknic or Kortwich have had a 3 pre for the 633 for a while, thought they may have made a bigger version but can't find annything on the site at moment

They also do a four five and six way units, but this looks like a cracking bit of kit.

My only surprise is the external power socket. It's a standard DC plug whilst the DC in and out on the 633 is 4 pin. hirose.

12 hours ago, Malcolm Davies Amps CAS said:

My only surprise is the external power socket. It's a standard DC plug whilst the DC in and out on the 633 is 4 pin. hirose.

seem to have changed to 4pin hirose:

Pinknoise%20633%20expander[2].jpg

specs are quite nice too:

SD633 Add-On

Gain range                          20 … 78 dB
Max input signal                  -2 dBu
Max output signal                +24 dBu @ 10K ohms (bal)
Frequency response             20 ... 40 kHz +0 / -0.8 dB
THD+N                               0.001% @ -14 dBu, 1 kHz, 38 dB gain
                                          0.04% @ -54 dBu, 1 kHz, 78 dB gain
Equiv. input noise                -127 dBu, A-weighted @ 78 dB gain
Phantom voltage                  48 V +-2 V, max 15 mA
Power supply                       6 x AA alkaline or NiMH batteries
                                          for 6 - 10 hours continuous use
                                          Ext. DC 6 - 18 V (HIROSE HR10 4pin)
Size                                   WxHxD 203 x 40 x 125 mm
Weight                                980 grams

http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/PN-SD633-3CH-EXP.html

460GBP plus tax

5 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I looked at Kortwich's versions of these (1/2/3/4/6 channel).  They look good but their site is pretty light on info about them.  Anyone used one?  It seems like the vis the 6xx design, the controls on these boxes would be mic trim only, you'd still be mixing on the SD box.

Phillip. When I bought a 633 I bought the 3 way and found it very quiet and it did exactly what it was supposed to.

For another project I bought a mini Solice so I bought the six way which compliments the Solice beautifully.

When I saw a photo of the Pink Noise one, I might have been having a senior moment but it certainly didn't have the Hirose in and out just a dc non-locking socket I thought a the time "pity it doesn't have the Hirose to match the 633.

It's cool to think of having a compact way to add 6 more pres to my 664, but to make a mix that avoided essentially mixing on the input trims (so the isos would be going up and down w/ the mix) I guess I'd still need the CL6 too (and set-and-forget the 664 trims for 7-12).  But still a pretty compact rig.  Good to hear that the pres are nice sounding, boffo idea combining the Kortwich 6x version with mini Solice--nice little rig that would be.