Small Cart

Arnold F.

I would love a Cart Lite: it would be perhaps waist high, have three shelves total, have a relatively narrow footprint of 18 inches and place for a boom, headphone hook, cable hook, etc.  It would be a few hundred bucks at most. No power, no laptop, non of the extras.  Does such a cart exist?

A.

I would love a Cart Lite: it would be perhaps waist high, have three shelves total, have a relatively narrow footprint of 18 inches and place for a boom, headphone hook, cable hook, etc.  It would be a few hundred bucks at most. No power, no laptop, non of the extras.  Does such a cart exist?

A.

Several of us made carts like this in the late 1970's /early '80s based on handtrucks.  The truck stood vertically, and had shelves added to the front, in some cases removable (on brackets) and in better cases hinged so they'd fold flat.  The usual hardware available for vertical boom storage on a cart could be bolted to the back, as were cable hooks.  For stability we put an equipment case on the "shovel" at the bottom.  I did a LOT of jobs, including several feature films, with variations on a rig like this and it worked pretty well, was very cheap to put together, broke down to fit in a normal car and could function as a normal hand truck to move your cases around when needed.  As I recall it was about 16" wide and about the same deep, or a little less--just barely big enough to accommodate a Nagra.  The cart was small enough for nearly any location, including interiors where I was working alone and booming and mixing at the same time.  (If you think you will want to work the rig "close-in", as in close enough to the actors to boom them yourself, paint the rig flat black.) 

Philip Perkins

About 8 years ago I worked with a commercial mixer who had to travel on a plane a lot.  He had a cart made of speed rail.  The shelf supports and vertical structure were all individual pieces of pipe.  It was basically 2 Ft. by 2 Ft. cubes of speed rail attached together.  He then had Plexiglas he taped on to make the shelves, and an axle and some wheels.  It all packed down really small.  There was enough room on the cart for his Cooper, Lectro Quad box, DAT, Comtec, block battery, etc...  I'm sure his main cart at home was all tricked out, but I thought he had an interesting solution to having to fly with a sound cart.

scott