If you weren't a sound mixer, then what would you be?

Eric Toline

I would like to think I would be a football (soccer) player but really..  I had a job at a PR firm when I was young but made a decision early to do sound when I finally realised I was crap at football. Been a live tech for ages and whilst fun & often rewarding whitney, the advice I reckon long term was right, I'm crossing over, albeit slowly.

Dan, there is apparently some research (although I cant find it) into the joy provided by listening to a live concert as opposed to an mp3. Something about the premise of muscle absorption of extended frequencies, as well as hearing (I got hooked on live sound after hearing, or rather feeling, a drum kit soundchecked through a big PA, a little different I grant you) The Laurier centre may be a good place to start. But for a little inspiration have a look at this talk by (the wonderful) Evelyn Glennie who, I'm sure you already know, is deaf.

This is an interesting thread. Of course it leaves out what have you been prior to working in sound... I know for a lot sound people that would be something in electronics, radio, etc. All of which lead into sound. That is where I started, but maybe that's a different thread...

I have a degree in writing, and I would love to mix that with my passion for motorcycles. I would love to spend all my time riding my motorcycle, writing about cool trips and roads taken to get there. In fact, I've started something similar to that on my blog http://wbrisett.blogspot.com ... but to get paid to do that, AH, now there's the real pie in the sky! :)

Wayne

yes good thread. good stories guys.

since I have been in the biz since finishing high school, and progressed up the food chain a bit. I always wanted to be Francis Ford's 1st AD. and dreaming and going back - way back John Huston's.

when I was 12-16, probably would have taken over my grandfathers and then dads house painting company.

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Before college, I was a one of the top ten Trombonists in the state of Michigan. I played in national honors orchestras with the top musicians all around the country where I represented my school and state all four years of high school.

After high school, my plan was to go all the way to becoming a principle Trombonist in a symphony orchestra. After 3 months of my teacher (the principle trombonist on the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra) drilling me to practice 6-8 hours a day doing scales and lip slurs, I dropped it, and pursued a Vocal Performance Major. I had done musicals during high school, and developed a love and appreciation for musical theater, which made me want to perform on broadway. I studied opera for 3 years when I started touring around the US in a chamber orchestra and once again represented my school at elite concerts, as well as performing with Eric Whitacre (composer) at the premiere of his opera, Paradise Lost, in New York. One of the greatest accomplishments of my life!

It all ended when I was one my way to a rehearsal, and I passed by the studio room.  The door was cracked open. I was walking by, and all of a sudden the ground started shaking and this low noise that sounded like a space ship taking off completely freaked me out! I walked in and saw a teacher working on sound design for a short film. I asked him what he was doing, and he took a half hour to explain what he was doing and how everything worked. I got in trouble for completely missing my voice lesson that day. Whoops!

That experience opened my eyes, and eventually brought me to assisting all you fine people as a Sound Utility Technician!

People still catch me singing from time to time while working - karaoke anyone?

~Thomas Popp

Right wing for the Montreal Canadiens !!!

But back on planet earth......I always loved the outdoors and nature so I was in college taking all the right courses to become a conservation officer (forest ranger) when one day i discovered the college radio station. What a great place. Over the next couple of semesters I started spending more time there then in my classes and along the way somehow became the station manager. Well the grades went downhill pretty fast, but my love for sound kept growing and I decided I had better try and find a way to make a living at this. I started doing live sound for local bands I had met through the radio station. It was lots of fun, but working in smokey bars until the wee hours for not a lot of money started to lose it's appeal. I joined a radio broadcasting program at another college and when it came time to choose our job placement at the end of the program, i started at a Production company learning audio post on Pro Tools (mostly animation). About 2 weeks into it the boss came in and said "hey Simon, how would you like to do some location sound ?" Turns out the soundguy for that day got sick and couldn't make it in, so they were scrambling to find someone to replace him. I was given a bag with the gear in it and as we walked down the hallway to meet the director and cameraman, the boss said to me "oh, and by the way don't let the director know that you've never done this" So on the drive over to the intervieww we were taping that day,sitting in the back seat of the van, I opened the bag and pulled out this crazy long tube that was supposed to be a microphone (first time seeing a shotgun) And there was also a Shure FP31 and a couple of lavs. Well I muddled my way through and at the end of the shoot the director said he liked me, and wanted me to do the rest of the show. So i spent the last 3 weeks of my college placement flying around Canada doing interviews for this show. When i got back to college for graduation and saw my classmates, they told me of horrible stories of there placements in radio stations. One guy had to call every number on a station managers rolladex and make sure the numbers were up to date. Another spent the entire time re cataloging the stations record collection. When I told them of my experience flying around the country for a tv show, everyone wanted to become a Soundman !

A couple of weeks later I was offered a full time position as a tech at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Radio. But at the same time i was offered a three month freelance gig doing sound for a TV documentary. Well I gave up the job security and pension plan of the CBC, and embarked on the freelance journey.

No regrets yet !!!

Many years ago I discovered that there was more fun and money to be had operating sound equipment than fixing it.

However I still fix my own equipment (and for others) so I would go back to that as a task I love.

Cheers to all

Mike

www.mikewestgatesound.co.nz

• 3 months later...

I love working in Sound, it's been a dream of mine since I saw Star Wars back in 1977 at the Hackney Odeon with my Nan - the moment that ship flew over head, I was obsessed with the sound of film.

I have always had a dream of self-publishing my own comic book series (something I still plan on doing, as long as I can find an artist to do the actual drawing for me!) and would probably be working at trying to break into that world.

Failing that, I'd try to put my degree to some use, and probably be teaching Ancient History somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a Shooter/Cameraman as we used to call them. Love finding and framing as well as using light quality to tell a story. I dig telling stories. Music producing. I love working with talent and recording them. Like I said, I love telling stories. Did I mention...

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after years as a sound mixer, I have decided to make a change. I am going to become a race car driver. The problem is I need a little help. The only car I have is a 1979 Ford Maverick, but I’m sure if I buy a few really cool, cheap accessories I can make it run like a formula one. Do any of you guys know where I can get a motor like a real race car has for less than $100? I am sure B and H has them somewhere but I can’t find them on their website. I am also going to get a RedLettusRock25 brand spoiler, I am assured that this will make my car look and run like a new one. My cousin knew a guy that did this and he is rich now.

I am going to race in all the biggest races, so if you help me now you are getting in on the ground floor. I will remember you when I am standing in that winner’s circle. You and old what’s-his-name (?) that gave me the free tires. Anyway, as I said I am going to race in all the biggest races and I am going to need some crew. I am going to find some mechanics who can’t afford mechanic school yet but who REALLY want to work on a real race car, and I am going to let them fix up my car. After that first race I will be able to give them more than a cool T-shirt I designed with my name on it and cold pizza. Better yet, maybe I can find some new mechanic-school graduates who can’t get a job yet and want to hone their craft a bit. At least they will probably have their own tools I can borrow.

Someone told me I might need insurance for this, but I didn’t budget for that so we’ll get it on the next one.

Do you guys know if the $1.99 fuel boost additive works just as well as the $6 bottle?

So that’s my plan, can any of you guys out there who’ve done this give me any pointers? I can’t afford school right now and I don’t have time to read the 5 million posts on the race car driver board and 800,000 pages of advice already out there on the internet, so can all you veteran race car drivers just please tell me how and help me or something? I’m really committed to this and I’m really good at it, all my friends say so.

So get on board soon and answer my questions, I am in a hurry because I heard that there is a big race in Indianapolis coming up soon and want to enter it. Did I mention I was going to all the biggest races?

I also need some red paint, I hear that all the best race cars are red now, and I want a red one, too.

Also, does anybody know when the DMV is open?

I have to get that little book that will help me study for my driver’s license.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...