Power Amp Issues

Alex Altman

Hello all, I have a question regarding a recent issue with my Mackie M2600 power amp. After not using the amp for a couple months (and everything working fine before, except for one side of the unit), I get a playback gig and have a sound quality problem. The sound had an extreme amount of high end that I had never heard before. And when I say extreme, I mean like painfully brittle at high volume. The rest of the sound seemed to be in tact however; lows were full and mids were fine. The highs weren't distorting either, they just seemed to be boosted beyond explanation. My solution for that particular show was to just tape some foam over the tweeters. Ugly, but it worked.

I am assuming it is an amp issue because I have traded out the playback device, cables, and mixer with no change in sound. The two PA speakers also sound identical, eliminating a speaker issue in my mind. I can't imagine the two speakers going bad the same way, at the same time.

Any ideas? Is this the slow death of my Mackie? Or is it something completely different? Thanks!

Alex,

Do you mean that one channel has the extreme highs, both channels, or that one channel is completely non-functional and therefore rules out comparing them?

There are switches on the back for low-cut filters and others to set up crossover frequencies to drive separate parts of a stack.  Only guessing here, but you may have them in the wrong position(s).

http://www.mackie.com/support/downloads/manuals.html

JB

Hi John, thanks for replying. One side is completely non-functional because of a short somewhere. A local Mackie authorized repairman here said he couldn't find it. I just don't ever try to use it anymore.

I do know about the filter switches on the back of mixer, but the thing that confuses me is that while the high end is super loud, the rest of the signal seems to sound fine. The low end will thump for instance, but shouldn't it be almost non-existent if a low-cut was enabled?

" everything working fine before, except for one side of the unit "

wow, that is an oxymoron!

and a tech told you the problem is a "short, but he can't find it" ??

it is probably more than just "a short", something is wrong with it.  unfortunately, 2 channel amps rarely have 100% independent channels, and the additional symptoms you describe do not sound like user switch settings problems, except for possibly putting the amp into single channel mono mode (see, the 2 channels have to be interconnected inside!)

it could be in the speakers or speaker wiring: did you try each speaker and wire separately?? if that isn't the problem, it is broken, and needs to be fixed by either Mackie, or a Mackie authorized service center.