Anybody had this on a (3month old) KMR 81? (hear attached file:3 minutes!)

bralleput

Yes. That sounds like the infamous "frying" sound caused by a humid environment, and I've experienced it with Schoeps MK41/CMC mics and the KMR-81, and isn't necessarily related to the age of the mic. It is usually associated with Schoeps mics, probably only because Schoeps are more prevalent in film production, but pretty much all condenser mics susceptible to this problem except for electret condenser mics, RF-circuitry mics like the Sennheiser MKH series, and copies by Rode.

When the mic was making this sound, was it in a humid environment where the mic was noticeably colder than the surrounding air?  I've used Schoeps/Neumann etc in very humid environments with success, but it turned out to be extremely important to not let the mic get colder than the surrounding air.  The classic example of this is a mic taken from a dry cold air-conditioned interior out into a very warm humid exterior.  The humidity then condenses on the surfaces of the diaphragm and you get that noise, and sometimes a whine as well.

I'm sure you've tried different cables?

I have used my kmr 81i for years in diverse and extreme temperatures without issue. The one hiccup with said mic is a gold washer between threaded head of mic and the fabric filter - that if loose, may rattle (tinkle).

Having said that yes it could of course be humidity, but the only time it really crapped out for me (similar sound to your example, though far more violent) was rain water getting into audio connectors at boom pole.

I did have a km185 that would misbehave motor boating/ whining etc, turns out it had a contact issue; of all places between capsule and body, hot glue to the rescue.

On 23 June 2016 at 5:44 AM, Philip Perkins said:

When the mic was making this sound, was it in a humid environment where the mic was noticeably colder than the surrounding air?  I've used Schoeps/Neumann etc in very humid environments with success, but it turned out to be extremely important to not let the mic get colder than the surrounding air.  The classic example of this is a mic taken from a dry cold air-conditioned interior out into a very warm humid exterior.  The humidity then condenses on the surfaces of the diaphragm and you get that noise, and sometimes a whine as well.

Thanks for the tip - kmr81 is my favourite shotgun but I have had the whine problem before a few times In the wet which happens a lot here in the UK. 

The 81 usually handles well in humid environments. Sounds like a cable or if your using a power supply, the battery may be going on it. you also can get interference if you were close to a neon sign or if your rig was plugged into an ungrounded power source. Also try plugging and unplugging mic. Good suggestions all around guys.  The 81 still continues to be a great mic even though it is out of fashion.