Sennheiser HD-25 connection problem with new generation?

axel

There has been a new generation of HD-25 headphones out since the early months of 2016.

- Has anyone been using them so far?
- Does the problem of intermittent connection loss (cable to earcup) still persist with the new generation?

From the pics the connection to the earcups has not been changed, but one could maybe think they they've been clever enough to improve the female part of the plugs inside the earcups...

The new generation is named only "HD-25" without any suffix, there is a "plus" edition with the same headphones but a coiled cable and velour pads added.

see this old thread:

Meh... Mainly the reputation is that they're good. I think they can afford the cable thing.. They do sell spares ;)

I have two Hd25s, both are having slight issues but nothing that can't be fixed with a little nudging. One of the pairs got driven over by a car. I think that trumps that connection thing. We are not the only business using them either..

been using the HD26 pro two years and i like it. 

btw, HD25 has been re=released in India - surely other places as well - check it out. I dont know if they have made any changes to the cable to transducer connection. i will check on this here and report back if anything... -vin

On 30.6.2016 at 7:03 PM, Derek H said:

Maybe they want you to buy the newer HD26 PRO? 

Anyone liking those?

I had a pair of HD26 once, but they sound rather different imho... about the same grade of isolation, OK comfort, but less fidelity. Their sound is too different to switch back and forth with HD25. Too much brain power needed to calculate "it would sound like such on a HD25, lets say it was OK"... I've been working with HD25 for 12 years now. The thin dotted OK/not OK line between my ears is based on the listening experience they provide.

Axel, I too very much miss the HD25, but it was difficult to stay loyal after going through two pairs... which is why i question Sennheiser about this new version - which seems like a reissue of the old one, only with or without accessories (extra pads, cable)... Surely a company as big and widespread as Sennheiser should acknowledge a long standing issue with the design of the HD25 and make SOME attempt to fix it. if they actually have done something their PR department is doing nothing to publicise this, evidently... 

1 hour ago, soundtrane said:

Axel, I too very much miss the HD25, but it was difficult to stay loyal after going through two pairs... which is why i question Sennheiser about this new version - which seems like a reissue of the old one, only with or without accessories (extra pads, cable)... Surely a company as big and widespread as Sennheiser should acknowledge a long standing issue with the design of the HD25 and make SOME attempt to fix it. if they actually have done something their PR department is doing nothing to publicise this, evidently... 

Trouble is Sennheiser are ironically deaf......

They've been told over and over and over again......

3 hours ago, soundtrane said:

yeah - and sometime soon (when i go to germany) i hope to remedy this. maybe a real sound guy going out and meeting the top management is in order... heh... 

Great if you can get it resolved.

In my opinion it is a decision to do with making the cables removable and replaceable, leading to a decision to make the connection required between the cable ends and the ear capsule, via proprietary spade connectors which rely on tiny weak springs within the capsule to make the connection with the spade connector pins, and of course these tiny weak springs eventually fail.

It's not that difficult really just improve the design of the connection, even make it a tiny Lemo or something of quality, even if that increases the cost. I'd pay extra, as they are my favorite headphones, but I had to give up on them after five pairs with intermittent connections, and believe me I tried everything to make them work reliably, but you'd be doing something under pressure and one of the capsules would die, I couldn't stand it any more..... rant finished :)

Actually that's not the full story because they did have a go at improving them and the Mkii's had rounded what looked like gold plated spade end connections (rather than the previous grey flat blades) but even this didn't solve it, as again the springs that have to make the connection are too weak, or the surface area of the connection, or something, means once again after a while they fail....