So as I'm sure you've heard SD offers now a solution  to control some features on their 6 series mixer/recorders wirelessly (coming along with a new firmware update) via third party timecode hardware and software (Timecode systems Ambient, recording and PureBlend). All details are on their website...

First, thank you SD for updating your products on a regular basis. I think it shows how serious of a company you are and that you care about your customers.

BUT, does it really had to involve a 1000$+ extra piece of gear ? I really love the idea of having metadatas on my iPad and all but I won't spend that much for it. Plus I already have a timecode solution. 

Am I the only one thinking that way ? Do you think it's plausible that SD will release their own wifi dongle and dedicated app at some point ?

Lets talk about it,

Nicolas

No... your not alone...

More stuff, more mounts, more powering, more weight, more cost, more size.... MORE is not always better....

I like the idea, and the colors... and the concept...but I am trying to get smaller and lighter on my main cart...  this all just gets bigger and bigger ...again...  

Without the iPad, I can name tracks, change data, create a report, turn on and off my recorder and enter data....  pretty quick too..

I do love the way they continue to offer so much from the existing platform though.. Good work Sound Devices... but I don't think at this time this is for me...

Also, when I am on the bag rig I am back off the iPad... definitely don't want to deal with that in the field with a bag rig...  many times we go back and forth...  Would rather stay with the SD created csv report.. 

I think the easier iPad just makes things harder in the long run...

My gut feeling is that I'm with AFMY on this one..

Integrating an additional layer of hardware/software/OS to the recorder and dealing with all the complications  and expense involved just to refine features that are already possible with the standalone unit..  not sure it'd be for me.

But I am sure many will jump at the chance to get this setup working, and that's great!

Kudos to sound devices for continuing to support 3rd party integration.

Let me know when Cedar noise reduction is built in to the 688 ;)

2 hours ago, daniel said:

Excuse me, I'm new this level of TC metadata integration - is there much point in using the Ambient®Recording's ACN-Master Lockit (or similar) unless the camera department have 1 on their Alexa (or similar)?

The ACN master lockit is a transmitter so yes, you need TC receiver on the camera in order to transmit TC. 

I applaud them for trying this in a way that adds nothing to the complexity (and price) of the machine but can do a lot of cool stuff.  I see it as being for cart-drivers, mainly, who might already have and be using some of those peripherals.  For smaller rigs I too am with AFMY--the way the machines work on their own is good enough for current workflows.  An update of WaveAgent would be cool though...?

We live in interesting times.  On one hand, we have a lot of amazing technologies that are developing at an astounding rate (in the sound world AND outside of it), yet a lot of times I'm starting find myself being somewhat bothered by the fact that as the years go on, we are either expected by production or via ourselves to show up with more and more gear to set to do the same job done as always (I swear some productions act like if not every single person in a scene isn't wearing a lav, you're not going to hear them even though you have a boom in a quiet room a foot from their face).  Don't get me wrong, a lot of great things have been developed that have made our lives easier, but for some reason it seems that you always have to have your bag/cart evolving rather than making a researched purchase and then sticking with it for a decade or whatnot.  Between the expense, anxiety (FCC auctions anyone?) of what's next, more gear for less kit fee, etc etc. it can be quite unnerving!

All valid points of view. One thing I'll never do is give it away or absorb the cost as part of my basic package. If production or post is driving how we do our gig, (rfs on all) they will pay extra or they will get "that fuckin guy" who will do it for no extra cost. I've worked damn near 40 years and we have always kept the prices up,never giving a 3 or 4 day week. I use to feel a hate for "those fuckin guys", now it's basically a sorrow in how much they are not making and how they are screwing things for those who follow.

Also thanks SD. Always working to make better products whether we use them or not.

CrewC

I agree that many otherwise intelligent producers (and actors) assume that everyone visible to camera has to be wired, boom or no.  There is an interesting suspicion and hostility to mic booms anymore, which partly comes from that producorial ignorance, partly as an ego thing among actors (those with wires are more important to the scene, obviously) and partly due to younger DPs not understanding (or wanting to learn) about lighting a set so it can be mic'ed (not to mention location BG noise issues, which of course can be solved by an all-lav mic setup).   There's also the directorial conceit of "flow", where the scene is discovered in shooting not rehearsals, and characters w/o scripted lines may pipe up on their own or because they are asked to on the spur of the moment (often when we're already rolling).  Sorry for OT.  Yes, a lot of the secretarial work we do has been pushed on us by post, the SD adds may help with that if you already have that extra gear going.