First Sound Cart

Last Rites Films

Hey folks,

I finally got my first sound cart going. There were a few things I knew it had to do:

1. It had to be affordable. Very affordable.

2. It needed to be arranged in a way where I could go from a cart-based setup to a run-and-gun setup very quickly. Ideally in less than a minute.

3. It needed to collapse small enough to fit in the back of my Ford Focus.

It took me a while to figure this out, but here it is. I already had the SKB case from an old cart I purchased from LSC, but never used. I think it was originally owned by Scott Farr. Luckily, it even had the keyboard and mixing shelf already installed, plus a hook for the headphones. The rest of the shelves I bought from a provider on Amazon. They're made by Penn Elcom, but I noticed that the larger shelves lacked rear support. Again, I built this cart with budget in mind, so that was one concession I had to make.

I also knew I needed a design where all the transmitters and such would fit in moldings. That way I could very quickly see that I had all the little pieces of my kit at wrap time. There's been way too much L&D over the years. I just used Pelican foam for that. The only drawback to this design is that the case is now VERY heavy. I have found a way to lift it by myself somewhat safely, but I always look for a hand on set first.

The milk crate holds a couple of bags filled with some of the more awkward shaped gear in my kit like chargers and the label maker. The big black bag holds my cables, and I highly recommend it. You can get it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ8Q49S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now, the Octopack uses two small antennas, but I would like to get proper shark fins soon. I also definitely need to get something to hold scripts. On a related note, I went into quite the hole buying all this gear, so if anyone needs a mixer, PLEASE keep me in mind. Thanks for looking!

Cart6.jpg

Cart2.jpg

Cart4.jpg

Cart5.jpg

Cart7.jpg

Cart8.jpg

Cart9.jpg

Cart10.jpg

Cart11.jpg

Cart12.jpg