Sennheiser AVX any good?

trisvocaturo

Hi guys 

I'm new here.  I wondered if anyone has experience with the Sennheiser AVX system?

I'd like to get my first radio lav for my own bag, and am looking at either G3 or AVX.

I know AVX costs more, and I know it's aimed at video self shooters rather than sound people - but my opinion about any tool is if you can make it work for you and do the job you need it to, I don't care too much what it was meant for and don't mind working around a couple of quirks if they're outweighed by benefits.  I know G3 is good, but the reason I'm thinking AVX may be better for me is because most my shoots are in London, and I heard ch.38 can get quite cloggy in places.  If AVX allows me to get a great signal and clear sound, and I wouldn't need a licence - then great!

I'm mainly concerned about the auto levelling.  It's supposedly meant to be more like a "limiter", and sounds alright if you use setting 1 or 2 on the AF out - so other people have said online.  But what do you guys think if you've had a go?  Is it any good?  Would it be usable as my main radio kit for day to day (corporate, interviews, shopping channel commercial) sort of stuff?

It sounds quite ok for a lav. You just can't use it together with other radio systems because of it's enormous latency of 19ms. 

"Auto levelling" sounds more like the limiter Sennheiser builds into their HiDyn series (3000/5000).

Range is not that long but enough for most purposes. It works good as long as it is in line of sight. Compared to EW less issues all over.

You can power the receiver via USB. I would recommend it because the running time of the battery is just for hours. Don't use a USB converter but an independent USB power pack, to avoid DC issues with your other equipment.

The AVX sounds good and the range is okay.

One thing to consider is the latency. As mentioned before, you can't mix it with analogue sources like a boom mic or analogue receivers. Either you have a mixer/recorder with input delay or fix it in the editing.

Due to the latency, you have to have closed-back headphones and listen rather loud to "filter out" the real sound source (about 6-10dB louder). Otherwise you won't be able to properly judge the sound quality, background noise or follow the dialogue (at least not the way I want to hear the dialogue). The increased sound level can be fatiguing.

The short battery time of the receiver is also a problem, but powered via USB it's not a problem anymore.

All in all, I think the AVX works as advertised - a system for the camera man on the move, run'n'gun.

Cheers

Fred

If you're considering a G3 then I'd also look seriously at the Sony UWP-D11, I just got one and been using it on my last few jobs after using G3 kits many many times in the past. And I certainly am way way more prefering the Sony UWP-D11 over the G3, and they cost basically the same amount (Sony UWP-D11 is only marginally more in how much it costs brand new. Hmmm... correction: Sony UWP-D11 is **CHEAPER** at B&H by a hundred bucks! :-o I guess it is just in my country that Sony UWP-D11 costs more than a G3). 

Sony UWP-D is much more versatile. It works with AA batteries and has a headphone out so you can use it as an IFB also. You can eben mount it on Sony cameras like A7 / FS7 etc. on the SMA shoe without cables.

But AVX sounds better imho

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What would be the benefit in using a URX-S03D over my URX-P03D?

URX-S03d can be powered from internal AA batteries, will fit on smaller cameras (eg a DSLR hotshoe), the cables required are quite standard and it will take a 3rd I/P from a hard wire mic.

URX-P03d is designed to drop into the the slot of Sony camcorders so it would need a special cable to use in a bag and it would need to be externally powered through this cable.

I just attended a wireless microphone seminar put on by Sennheiser.  The AVX came up for discussion and some sound guys were using it for sending a scratch feed to camera.  The latency was mentioned to be annoying to the camera op if he was monitoring the camera.  Interesting little rig though.

• 5 years later...

Anyone experiencing bluetooth connectivity issues with Sennheiser MKE2 AVX lavs? Bluetooth connection blinks between red and green (even when I’m two feet away from receiver). Both pairs do this. Camera used is C300 M3. This happens both on phantom power and on battery. Thanks!!!