Waist-belt bag rigs: current state of the art?

Philip Perkins

There hasn't been so much discussion of waist-belt-borne rigs lately, and I wondered if anyone was still using one of those as their daily driver?  For me, I'm interested in this for a small rig, so I can trade off with my harness setup and "exercise" different muscles....   I see the KTek belt for Stingray Jr, and Portabrace has something called "HIP2 AUD" that is very small...   I recall some folks here having Kortwich custom make them bags for belt use, any other waist rigs to consider?  If anyone has made a waist rig then gone back to harness I'd like to here how that went and why, too.  Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave away an Orca waist belt. It just didn't work for me. With my small(ish) rig OR30, I found the bag kept flopping forward and got in the way of my legs if I had to move quickly or go up stairs. Alas I couldn't find a way to adjust it comfortably. Which is a shame because I really was hoping to take the weight off of my shoulders.

I rely heavily on the waist belt built into my Kortwich bag but find the rig pitches too far forward for my taste, so I use the very light weight Porta Brace AH series harness to level the bag and add a bit of additional support. I've been very content with this setup for years. 

Bag Contains:  Nomad 12 + 4/5 SRbs + TXs + power/distro + IFB + accessories

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Both of my bags are Kortwich, and I use them with the waist belt exclusively.  As soon as I started wearing the waist belt, I retired my harness and haven't looked back.  I hope I never put a shoulder harness on again.  I ride the bags a little higher when I need to move around a lot or quickly, and I ride them a little lower on my hips when I am more static.

Before switching to Kortwich I used the Portabrace AH-3H memerory foam with it's waist belt, but I found it still puts a lot of forward tension on my back, and I always ended up with back fatigue.  With my small Kortwich rig I can wear it all day without any fatigue, my large Kortwich rig I sometimes have a little fatigue from the pressure, but it's minor, and much much better than any shoulder harness I've worn.

They may not be for everyone, but I don't see myself ever wearing a harness again.

I had no luck with the Orca waist belt and OR30. I'm a thin, tall guy (32" waist, 6'3") so that might be part of it. I also find the available Petrol and Orca harnesses to be an ergonomically imperfect fit for my build. Cannot get the majority of weight to hang anywhere but my shoulders.

I had one day where I was only booming wild sounds/on the fly interviews, zero wireless. So I built this little rig from a thrift store Walkman type bag. Belt was a wide piece of nylon webbing with the clasps from an army belt sewn on (and reinforced by gaff tape to satisfy my paranoia). NP1/Hawk-woods distro was stuffed into an old light meter bag.

Despite these humble and hodge-podge origins, the bag performed perfectly. I've never had less fatigue/discomfort after a long day of almost continuous rolling. This thread has reminded me that I need to explore the Kortwich and Ktek wait belt options.IMG_7183.JPG

I still wish K-tek or some other manufacturer would just take this idea from me: (I have already outed this on the board so...)

I want a waist belt where you can hang your bag on like you hang a bag on a bicycle. Think of the Babybjörn if you like. A thick waist belt and two holes in the front. The bag has two hooks, and all you do to get it on the waist belt is to put the hooks in the holes. Some smarter person could probably think of an even better solution, but the reason I don't usually wear heavy bags is just the hassle of it. This belt could also help other fields like ACs or grips to hang their equipment on, or even camera bags or whatever. I don't think it's a foolish idea or not doable.. I hope..

1 hour ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

I still wish K-tek or some other manufacturer would just take this idea from me: (I have already outed this on the board so...)

I want a waist belt where you can hang your bag on like you hang a bag on a bicycle. Think of the Babybjörn if you like. A thick waist belt and two holes in the front. The bag has two hooks, and all you do to get it on the waist belt is to put the hooks in the holes. Some smarter person could probably think of an even better solution, but the reason I don't usually wear heavy bags is just the hassle of it. This belt could also help other fields like ACs or grips to hang their equipment on, or even camera bags or whatever. I don't think it's a foolish idea or not doable.. I hope..

Been thinking of something very similar for a few years just not got round to it.

I want to use something like the ortlieb quick release hooks on the bag: https://www.ortlieb.com/en/e192/

And maybe something like a kiteboard waist harness to hang it off: http://www.live2kite.com/mystic-majestic-waist-harness-grey-2014-pi-1982.html?image=1

The main point of the system being a lot of support so mixer bag doesn't bounce around on my abdomen and it being very quick (2 seconds) to get on and off.

Having a few bicycles means I've got the ortlieb bits. Living in London and not in a surf scene means I don't have anything like the waist harness I mention to play around with.

I used a waist belt before, but I stopped about 10 years ago, because the front loading made my lower back ache. That, and not being able to move about so nimbly. So I now criss-cross two of those tan suede Porta-brace carry straps across my back. They kinda make a super soft AH-2HB Audio Harness.

Edit: I should qualify one thing here: Looking back to the issue, the migration to a upper back styled 'criss-cross' harness was predicated mostly by the fact that I could not run or walk fast, should I need it (as I often did). I don't really think my lower back was affected as much as my ability to maneuver nimbly about the tight shooting situations I found myself in. Infrequently, they were somewhat tactical situations, and for safety, it mattered.

I have been using the k-tek kswb1 waist belt with the OR30 bag for some time now. I have a 633, 3 lectro 411 and ancillary crap in the bag. This system works well for me. I always have a shoulder strap attached and occasionally use it for added support. Its quick and easy to attach and detach the OR 30. The only improvement I would like to see is a wider waist belt. Something along the lines of a kite/wind surfing waist harness.

Regards

Steve.

Some on hear talk about their backs hurting, with and without shoulder straps, how much weight are you guys carrying? I have never had 10 seconds of back pain, and I have stood 17 hours with mine before, and I don't have a super great back or anything, maybe my experience with hiking is paying off, but I must be doing something very different than the ones that have back pain, or, we are just hearing from all the people that have back problems.

I just thought of something, what do your bags weigh? Maybe that is the issue? 

So, what, everyone, what does your bag weigh?

I've done plenty of hiking (with and without gear!) but after many years of hard use the back issues start to show up, at least for some of us with less-blessed genetics.  Thanks to everyone weighing in on this--it seems like a solution for me might be the kind of combo rig some of you have made that are part-belt and part harness. 

2 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Mine is 7 pounds.

7 pounds? Seriously? That's the bag, mixer, receivers, comtek trans, batteries, cables, etc?

42 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

I can, and regularly do carry a 45 lb backpack all day in the mountains without back pain.  It only takes a few hours of carrying a 10-15lb bag on a harness for my back to get tight and start hurting.  Everyone's body reacts differently.  Sounds like you are a lucky one Martin.

Hello, I am not sure how lucky I am. I have the vertical weight on my hips. There really isn't much of anything on my back, maybe 2 pounds, if that. Picture a mom holding a baby on her hip, with the hip off to one side. My back really isn't doing much. My hips might crack in half tommorow, but the back isn't even tired. Except of course from booming and moving heavy cases.

25 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

There is also the promise of some experimental rigs that place remotely controlled electronics in a backpack and only control surface in the front.  What I've seen so far is still too fussy, fragile and hard to get in and out of for me but I bet that's where this all is going. 

I would really like to see what you guys are doing to cause all this back pain. Someone with pain post a picture so I can get an idea. I don't have some superhuman back and I just don't have these issues. 

47 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

There is also the promise of some experimental rigs that place remotely controlled electronics in a backpack and only control surface in the front.  What I've seen so far is still too fussy, fragile and hard to get in and out of for me but I bet that's where this all is going. 

+1 I am very excited to get the weight off of the front and onto the back.  There's a doc mixer here in Seattle that's been talking about wanting that for years.  It's exciting that we might actually be close to it being a reality.

3 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Find any pic of a sound person wearing a harness-based bag rig.  That's what I look like, except older.

Well I could take a picture of myself. But I want to see a picture of somebody who's in pain. Because I don't see where this is coming from. I mean if somebody on here said that there Ford truck was getting 10 miles to the gallon and everybody else said yeah my same Ford truck gets 10 miles to the gallon and yet I'm getting 20 miles to the gallon, I'm going to wonder what everybody else is doing so different that they're not getting the same gas mileage I am. 

5 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

7 pounds? Seriously? That's the bag, mixer, receivers, comtek trans, batteries, cables, etc?

Yes, Oneunit - Ripped off Nomad, micplexerII and Inspired manager inside, 3 qrx200s Comtek TX and bag.

This is a picture before taking the xlrs put of the nomad.

V__C68E.jpg