Red Weapon

I started a long term commercial with the Weapon and I usually run sound to the camera with this production company so it outputs in the embedded SDI for VTR and Daily reasons. The first camera body went down in the first hour starting with the audio input failing, then timecode, and etc. The next body worked while we setup and did our tests in the parking lot of our next location. Right when we start rolling my VTR colleague altered me that the audio had a bunch of digital delay and artifacting then just stopped working. We rebooted both of his Wireless video systems and no change, so we just bypassed the problem by using the audio inputs on his microLite Transmitter which is rock solid. I know it seems outlandish to want to pipe sound through a new product of Red, so I would like to hear if anyone has had the same probably with the Weapon or is it bad luck.

Keenan, I would call that "Red Luck".  Those cameras have a long history of serious teething problems in all new models and firmwares.  They get sorted (mostly) eventually, but you and your buds are definitely beta-testing for them.   BTW I don't think it is outlandish at all to send audio to a Red or any other camera.  It's a great syncing guide, and lots of shoots don't have a video-assist person who is recording separately on their own rig these days, so any on set playback of picture with sound has to come from a camera file.

I've been working with the Weapon the last couple of days. I made a dual XLR to stereo 1/8" for the now single audio 1/8" input. At least on this Weapon, channel 1 and 2 bleed into each other so no chance of sending 2 discreet channels. It also seems prone to some grounding noise issues. But I imagine the module with the XLR inputs doesn't have this problem. 

4 hours ago, PalmerT said:

I've been working with the Weapon the last couple of days. I made a dual XLR to stereo 1/8" for the now single audio 1/8" input. At least on this Weapon, channel 1 and 2 bleed into each other so no chance of sending 2 discreet channels. It also seems prone to some grounding noise issues. But I imagine the module with the XLR inputs doesn't have this problem. 

I just send a mono feed to weapon via a G3 or nothing all. Why they couldn't put a TA5 or dual TA# on the body one will never know 

• 3 weeks later...

So far so good w/ Weapon for me, but it's been on pretty contained stuff.  The naked Weapon still needs the infernal RED 000-3 cable to get TC and genlock into the camera (and has the same TRS mini as previous models) but the addition of the Red connector + Red battery back-dingus then gives XLR inputs for audio, BNC for Genlock and 5 pin Lemo for TC.  Astute readers will note that this is a unique combo of connectors (audio, genlock, TC) but at least with this add we have a locking audio connector, and you can use your Alexa Lockit TC cables with the camera now.