BDS & NP-1 Batteries vs Sony L-Batteries For SD633 & SRB Bag

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had a preference between BDS and using Sony L Batteries for a SD633 and two Lectro SRB setup.  I just ordered a new SD 633 and will be buying one or two SRB's in the future. Right now I just have Lectro 401's but they last all day on a set of AA's so I'm not too worried about that.  I'm just trying to decide which would be the better option for power, I'm leaning towards the BDS and NP's right now, but wanted to see if anyone else was using the L batteries instead before I drop the $1000.  Thanks.

Jesse

When I bought my 633 kit I got an external Ikan sled for the L batteries to power the BDS so that I didn't have to buy two types of batteries+chargers.  They are flexible for multiple uses.  It has worked well for me for a couple of years. 

AA's keep the 633 going during swaps. 

And it won't be long before the inspired energy smart batteries become the new standard. Lighter, longer lasting and probably a better investment than NP1 at this point. 

I wouldn't bother with L Mounts at all unless I wanted to attach them directly to an SD recorder or a monitor, there are better cheaper solutions with better chargers etc.  The NP1 in its Lithium version is a pretty good battery for bag work, even though Sony didn't design it for that purpose the shape works out pretty well for that application.  I see some the newer battery types have imitated the "flat long box" form which is a good thing.

Thanks for the input, I'm checking out the Ikan sled, were you able to find one with a TA4F end or did you just solder one?  I do like the idea of having one type of battery and chargers, and after shelling out for a SD 633 and two SMQV/411's I'm short on funds to buy the IDX and NP-1s at the moment.

The thing is - with the 633, you don't need to have the backup battery while swapping the NP battery, because it has an internal power backup that gives you 10 seconds before it shuts down, so yes - you can keep rolling and even swap in the middle of a take if you need to.

Note: watch out if you have wireless receivers connected to the same BDS, because they will of course cut out the instant you pull the battery.

On July 23, 2016 at 9:48 AM, darkllamasound said:

Thanks for the input, I'm checking out the Ikan sled, were you able to find one with a TA4F end or did you just solder one?  I do like the idea of having one type of battery and chargers, and after shelling out for a SD 633 and two SMQV/411's I'm short on funds to buy the IDX and NP-1s at the moment.

Soldered custom for the BDS input, if I recall.

I use the SD633 for most of the work I do now on Documentary and Industrial shoots.  I use IDX Lithium NP1 batteries for the bag to power both the 633 and UCR411 recievers. One battery will pretty much last all day. On a long day I'll use a second battery. I'd rather replace it early than run it out.

I did buy two generic NP-F30 batteries to clip on the back of the 633. The NP-F30 is the smallest one they have , about 3/4" tall, so it's fits really nicely in the bag, without making the 633 pop up too high out of the bag.

I tested the run time of one NP-F30 battery (recording with 1 Schoeps mic plugged into the recorder drawing 48 volt power)  I watched the battery gauge on the 633's LCD and here is what I observed:

Green for 1.5 hours

Yellow for 1 hour

Orange for 3/4 hour

Then flashing Red and dead 2 minutes later

total run time about 3 hours and 15 minutes

Times 2 batteries that would be 6 1/2 hours, which is pretty good, but I'm still using the NP1 because it's powering the whole bag and

it's unlikely that I'm going to run out of power with the 2 battery systems combined.

Then there's the double AA cells. I had an opportunity to try  running the 633 on just AA cells (don't ask why or how , but one day I stupidly left my NP-1 batts at home...arrrghh.)   Recording 3 channels I got about 45 minuets of run time on the 6 internal alkaline AA cells before they died. Changing out the AA cells is kind of slow too... so relying on double AA cells to power this machine is not really workable, except for short sessions, or maybe if you used lithium AAs you might get decent run times, but that would get expensive.   The AAs are for back-up.

I have a very good system, but works because I am committed to gold mount lithium batts for my camera, and I try to reduce the number the number of difference chargers required, so I found a way to work this into the audio bad as well. I run my 633 off a Switronix Slim 75 watt battery that is very light and low profile and has led level indicators on the side. The Slim is plugged into a small AB mounting plate that connects to the BDS. All sits in the front pocket of the Orca bag. Powers the 633 and two receivers for a day and a half at least.

Thanks everyone for the input, just realizing I may have to shell out for the IDX as I forgot about one thing up here in Canada... Shooting in -35 Degree weather.  I was trying to save some funds with a cheaper alternative, but realizing now I can't have something going down in the cold.  I was checking out the Varizoom's and they are only rated down to 32 Degress Fahrenheit operating temp, not sure how they go in real life circumstances but I've shot in the Arctic Circle with the IDX in -35 and had no problems. I'll probably invest in some cheaper alternatives for backups and see how they fare in the weather up here.  I'm not sure if anyone has experience with Switronix or other alternatives in weather like this.  

• 6 months later...

Update on the NP situation.  Ended up going with the Varizooms at a cheaper price then the IDX's, just finished shooting a couple days out on snowmobiles in -30 Celcius weather and they held up all day long and then some. Quick to charge and kept my 633 and 2X411's powered through a 12 hour day on 1 battery. (Wasn't very intensive recording day, but feel pretty confident in a long day with two NP's)  Thanks for everyone's input and help, I appreciate all the experience and advice from around the continent.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Remote Audio offering an NP style battery that is priced like Varizoom/switronix but is lighter and 98 watt hrs...30% more capacity!

Tradeoff is if you already are invested in NP 1 technology, the remote audio unit has a different cup to BDS system and a different charger!

A couple years ago, I switched from IDX NP1s to generic(ish) Batteries4Broadcast. The B4B batts are working well. And better: When I first ordered, FedEx misdelivered the shipment; FedEx insisted they'd dropped the stuff off at my house. I contacted B4B and they shipped out another set of batteries and then pestered FedEx (since they carry more weight with them than I do) to figure out what really happened.

Turns out FedEx dropped off the box (without a signature...grrr) at a house two streets over, but with the same house number as ours. The FedEx driver came by to apologize, I shipped the now duplicate order back to B4B, and there was no extra charge for any shipping or stuff to me (I presume B4B made FedEx pay shipping). Gotta say, considering the small size of my order, that was nice to see.

And the batteries are still working well. So I'm a multi-time B4B customer.

http://batteries4broadcast.com

They're not the only choice, but glad they took my side when things went south...

That said, I'd love to reduce the number of types of batteries I need to maintain.