DPA 4098 Wind protection

pvanstry

Hi Guys, I use my DPA 4098 all the time and loving it. Best little plant mic out there. But when I use it in a car, a lot of time, I would need a better wind protection setup, something like a little softie.

I researched it and didn't find anything out yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pascal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it would fit well, the 4098 has a totally different shape and length.

Even DPA's own black foam thing that came with the mic keeps falling off of my mics, so I'd be wary of anything not purpose-made

I've also nearly lost the foamies that come with them several times. Thus far using them as plant mics, I have been fortunate to have calm days. These mics have saved a scene, due to coverage and movement, that neither radios or boom were able to. They are quickly becoming a favoured tool and better wind protection is a must.  

guys - DO look at the bubblebee fur, it is a sheet of acoustic material, you can cut it and use it as you like. check it out

guys - DO look at the bubblebee fur, it is a sheet of acoustic material, you can cut it and use it as you like. check it out

here you go

https://www.bubblebeeindustries.com/collections/all-products/products/the-piece-a-fur

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a car shot out in a field with windows down. Tried the 4098, but it was useless with the wind. I did try the Bubblebee Cos 11 furry that is made to go over the Sanken hard windscreen. It fit just fine, but actually was worse than the DPA factory foam. Would love to see a low profile solution since many car shots require the windows down.

DPA has thoroughly tested the Rycote 4099 Windjammer on the SC4098, and they gave it their seal of approval as a great solution for tougher wind conditions. I know Allen Williams in ATL has used it as well and was satisfied with the results. You can put the Rycote Windjammer on top of the stock foam to get maximum wind protection.

Question, what mph wind do you guys think is best to use a windshield such as a softie vs a dead cat/blimp. I tend to use regular softie for outdoors and blimp for moving cars, beach and stuff. I hate the sound of the inside of the blimp. Its definitely a use it if you really have to type thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk