Maxx TC

GlennP

Hey,

Any guys who have the Zax Maxx notice a discrepancy between source TC and the Maxx reader/generators on screen when jamming continuously to the source? 

Let me just issue a quick disclaimer. I have only just bought the Maxx (used ) and I am checking it over while waiting on some info about codes from Zaxcom so not an expert on the Maxx by any means. 

I was testing the input / output TC to jam a slave device and and jam the Maxx also. When continuously  jamming the Maxx with a Sony PMW350 I was getting a 1 frame difference in TC on screen ( 25Fps non drop obviously) whilst connected by bnc. This is when photographed. Not checked the flies although the TC is just in the header data right? 

I tried another source in to the Maxx, a smartphone LTC TC generator ( not exactly bench test gear I know)  just to see if a change of input device may any difference... it did now its 8 frames out on the Maxx display wired continously. This may have something to do with the quality of the sync signal , how clean the edges are, transition times and level etc. But I think the Sony should be putting out a fairly clean TC signal. 

It may well be that either is just on the cusp of incrementing to the next frame and so the display difference is less than 1 frame? Is this just a display issue? I was not recording during the tests. 

This is probably something I m missing in a menu but it s best to check. 

20160727_153026.png

Ignore these discrepancies. They can be explained by LCD screen latency. 

Timecode on the Maxx is pretty solid as long as you leave it powered on. It does not hold very accurate timecode when off. Unlike most Sound Devices recorders which can hold timecode decently while off for awhile.

So, leave it on once you've setup your timecode workflow and I always re-jam everything at lunch.

Hi Phillip and Derek,

Yeah I know the phone isn t a great source of TC ☺. It was just an easy test since I ve got it with me always. Its convenient for syncing a couple of cameras for a 2 cam interview shoot. I can set up the cams light and then give each cam a squirt of TC  without having to run cables or move the setup. I can view the b cam shot via wifi on the phone. It also makes calls. 😊

I would have liked to test the Maxx against an Ambient or Deneke with a comparator but the rental facilities near me dont really do sound. It was a quick and dirty test and thanks for the words of reassurance from you guys. 

Still trying to work out a deal with the Maxx. 

Best,

Glenn