Boom Pole internal cable electronic noise

dustinguished

I have a K-Tek 152CCR that makes a high frequency static like noise when I extend and retract the pole.  When I'm not extending, it seems to sound fine.  I made my own boom pole case from PVC pipe and about a week ago when I was unscrewing the cap, I had noticed the female XLR at the top of the pole, got caught in the square hole of the cap and took several twists before I could get the cap off.  There was another instance where a camera guy stacked some equipment on top of the boom when I wasn't looking but I didn't see any damage from this and don't think that's the culprit.  But I thought it was worth mentioning.  I'm wondering if this is something I should try and fix myself- cut off about 4'' and soldier on a new XLR or maybe just replace the internal cable all together, or if you think I should just send it in.    

You're on the right track. If you have time to kill try replacing the connector yourself first. If all else fails send it to K-Tek. John is right, they do good work. 

I had a VDB pole that was doing the same thing a while back. I ended up re-soldering both ends but still had the issue occasionally. I know the sound you're talking about it's like static electricity. Completely replaced the cable and now it's good to go. Sometimes you just have to start fresh with coiled cables. I hate them! A necessary evil. 

This is also the reason why I keep a ~5 foot XLR cable in my kit all the time for when the coiled boom jumper cable decides to screw you.