Sony ECM-51 (skinny Bob Barker mic) help

PhforAndAfter

Hey ladies & gents - Anyone familiar with this mic? I have one rented for a show on Monday and I'm not getting anything out of it. It's wired into an AT8531 power supply (also supplied by rental house). It's powered on, but the XLR out of it gives me no signal. Am I doing something dumb? The cable out of the mic is a Ta4 and the the female end on the power supply is ta3, which seems odd, but it's what was supplied and the cables fit fine.

Before anyone says RTFM, I can't find one anywhere online. The rental house is closed too.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, PhforAndAfter said:

Hey ladies & gents - Anyone familiar with this mic? I have one rented for a show on Monday and I'm not getting anything out of it. It's wired into an AT8531 power supply (also supplied by rental house). It's powered on, but the XLR out of it gives me no signal. Am I doing something dumb? The cable out of the mic is a Ta4 and the the female end on the power supply is ta3, which seems odd, but it's what was supplied and the cables fit fine.

Before anyone says RTFM, I can't find one anywhere online. The rental house is closed too.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Your problem is at the TA connection point. Just because the cables fit ( they shouldn't ) does not mean they are electronically connected.

32 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

Your problem is at the TA connection point. Just because the cables fit ( they shouldn't ) does not mean they are electronically connected.

Thanks Eric - yeah, I have a feeling this is the issue.  It seemed very odd to me that the M and F pins were different. Probably the rental house's screwup.

• 5 months later...