FCC DTV Coverage Changes

John Blankenship

Following the DTV transition, there will be some changes as to where in the spectrum the TV stations will call home.  In my area (Indianapolis), for instance, a couple of stations will transition their DTV frequency back to where the analog one was.  In other cases, stations are moving into slots formerly occupied by yet a different station.

To help sort out how the changes will affect your favorite freqs, here are the FCC's "Coverage Maps for All Designated Market Areas" as they are projected to be after the switch to full DTV is made:

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/

(Thanks to Matt Mayer for posting a link, on RAMPS, leading to this link.)

I don't recall seeing it posted here.  My apology if it's a duplicate.

John

• 6 months later...

Legal  Newsflash:

There is provision in the federal regulations now to use Video Assist transmitters legally in the USA with some restrictions.

Look at:  Federal Communications Commission §74.870        47 CFR Ch. I (10-1-04 Edition) asks the manufacturer to:  include with a wireless assist video device information regarding the requirement for users to obtain an FCC license, the requirement that stations must locate at least 129 kilometers away from a co-channel TV station, the limited class of users that may operate these devices, the authorized uses, the need for users to obtain a license, and the requirement that a local coordinator (or adjacent channel TV stations, if there is no local coordinator) must be notified prior to operation.

[68 FR 12772, Mar. 17, 2003, as amended at 68 FR 69331, Dec, 12, 2003]

You may read the details regarding above at:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/47cfr74.870.pdf

• 7 months later...